Director of Support & Education
- 2700 Horizon Dr, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
Looking for a purpose-driven role with a dedicated nonprofit team? AFTD is hiring!
Help us lead the fight against young-onset dementia. Dedicated to addressing frontotemporal degeneration (FTD), the most common dementia for people under 60, AFTD is a leading global authority on this disease. We are the only national U.S. organization dedicated both to advancing FTD research and providing help and support to improve quality of life for people affected today.
AFTD is mission-driven. Founded by a volunteer in 2002, AFTD raises awareness of this misunderstood disease while supporting people with FTD and their families. We educate healthcare professionals and advance collaborative research. We have a growing staff and a robust national network of thousands of volunteers and individual donors, dedicated to achieving a world with compassionate care, effective support, and a future free of FTD. For all who can benefit from it, we bring information, resources, and opportunities to connect – seeking to change the experience of a devastating disease from one of isolation to one of empowerment and connection.
Help us bring hope. AFTD channels the pioneering spirit of Helen-Ann Comstock, our founder and Board member who saw a world lacking resources to address FTD and chose to take action. As colleagues, we continue Helen-Ann’s work, and we do so with determination, creativity, compassion and resolve. AFTD strives to create a place where team members can learn, grow and support each other. If you have always had a passion to make a positive difference in people’s lives – but are seeking a way to channel that passion – we are assembling the team to do just that. We hope you’ll join us by applying for an essential role!
Join our team. AFTD seeks a driven and talented professional to take on the role of Director of Support & Education. If the idea of bringing information, resources, help, support and hope for a better future to families across the U.S. is compelling – and if you bring a natural talent for educating, supporting and building relationships with others – a role at AFTD could be a great fit for you.
The Director of Support & Education is directly responsible for the management and oversight of AFTD’s support services and educational program initiatives. S/he will work collaboratively with the Programs team and AFTD Leadership to ensure thoughtful development and efficient implementation of programs which will further the information and resources available to those impacted by FTD and the education of the healthcare professionals who serve them, ensuring alignment with organizational strategies and goals. This role is responsible for ensuring that the clinical information AFTD provides to lay and healthcare professionals is current and accurate.
Essential Job Functions
- Program Development and Delivery: Perform ongoing evaluation of AFTD’s support services and education programs to ensure the delivery of high quality, innovative and responsive programs for core stakeholders. Ensure deep collaboration across support and education teams and all AFTD departments for effective, efficient program delivery. Ensure that the clinical information provided by AFTD across support and education programs and platforms is current and accurate. Oversee management of the Annual Education Conference. Ensure services continue to address emerging needs among the FTD community.
- Departmental Management – Oversee the budget, planning, staffing, performance reviews and professional development of the Education, Support Services and HelpLine teams. Foster and promote a culture of high performance, continuous improvement and learning through ongoing professional development, mentoring and collaboration in partnership with AFTD leadership.
- Relationship Building: Actively seek information and build relationships to ensure AFTD continues to understand the environment of dementia care delivery and can understand and respond to relevant trends as they emerge. Collaborate with AFTD staff and Leadership to engage with healthcare providers, academia, government and non-profit stakeholders to establish relationships that advance FTD diagnosis, care and support. Cultivate and manage relationships throughout the dementia care and professional education communities in pursuit of AFTD’s goals.
Other Job Functions
- Contribute expert knowledge in support of quality decisions regarding internal planning and AFTD’s overall strategic direction.
- Represent AFTD externally, staying informed on national-level activities in the dementia space, representing AFTD and FTD on external committees as appropriate. Collaborates with internal teams to ensure AFTD is presenting a coordinated and unified persona, values and priorities to the external world.
- Conscientiously follows company policies and practices and takes care of organizational property.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Travel for organizational meetings and events as needed.
- Master’s degree in a healthcare related field required. MSN a plus
- Licensure in Nursing or Social Work a plus 2-3 years of experience in data entry, query and general database use preferred
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible clinical development experience in FTD, dementia or other neurodegenerative diseases
- Demonstrated experience managing staff
- Deep critical thinking and structured problem-solving/analysis skills with ability to develop frameworks for evaluating and recommending cross-functional options and solutions
- Proven ability to handle issues confidentially, and to be discrete and fair
- Strong attention to detail required
- Proficient in full Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proficient in and comfort utilizing web-video platforms eg: Zoom
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and comfort working with wide-ranging community online, by phone and in person
- Ability to analyze and respond to educational needs
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to work on a wide variety of projects; lending support where needed
- Ability to approach work with a pleasant and professional demeanor
- Travel requirements = approximately 15% - Domestic air travel as well as a valid driver’s license and ability to drive to meeting locations
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
AFTD values its staff and all who work with us to advance our mission. We practice trust, cultivate creativity, and incorporate input from all, seeking to grow and learn in service to families at every stage on an FTD journey.
If you are interested in learning more about this excellent career opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume. Only applications with a cover letter will be considered.