Director of Support & Education
- 2700 Horizon Dr, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
AFTD seeks an innovative clinical care leader to join a growing team dedicated to transforming dementia care.
We are the leading organization dedicated to ending frontotemporal degeneration (FTD), the most common form of dementia under 60. While COVID-19 has compounded the devastating effects of FTD on the families we serve, AFTD is responding to make new opportunities for care and support available and driving research to develop the first disease-modifying treatments.
AFTD was founded by a volunteer in 2002. Providing accurate information, effective support, and empower a community of families and professionals to bring about change. We raise awareness, educate health professionals, advocate nationally for appropriate, affordable services, fund leading-edge science and work with biopharma companies to advance research.
We value knowledge, compassion, collaboration, respect, and dignity. AFTD’s work to bring about a world without dementia is only missing your expertise and passion. By applying for this unique leadership role, you can take the next step in your career – and make a difference on a national scale.
The Director of Support & Education is directly responsible for providing leadership that ensures AFTD’s support services and educational programs advance early diagnosis and improve access to quality care and effective support. They will possess a deep understanding of the needs of people living with FTD, their families and the professionals who serve them in order to identify gaps and opportunities to impact the organization’s strategies and goals. This role is responsible for ensuring that the clinical information AFTD provides to lay and healthcare professionals is current and accurate. The Director of Support & Education will represent AFTD externally in professional meetings and conferences related to advancing dementia care. They will serve on AFTD’s leadership team.
Essential Job Functions
- Program Development: Perform ongoing evaluation and development of AFTD’s support services and education programs to ensure the delivery of high quality, innovative and responsive programs for core stakeholders. Ensure collaboration across support and education teams and with all AFTD departments for effective, efficient program delivery. Expand outreach to underserved communities. Ensure that the clinical information provided by AFTD support and education programs is current and accurate.
- Departmental Management: Manage the budget, planning, staffing, performance reviews and professional development of the Education, Support Services and HelpLine teams. In partnership with AFTD leadership foster a culture of high performance, continuous improvement and learning. Contribute to materials and presentations for board of directors.
- Relationship Building: Collaborate with AFTD staff and leadership to engage with healthcare providers, academia, government and non-profit stakeholders to advance FTD diagnosis, care and support. Cultivate collaborations to ensure AFTD understands the changing environment of dementia care delivery and identify trends and opportunities as they emerge. Serve as a public face of the organization in support or our care, support and education goals.
Other Job Functions
- Manage the Annual Education Conference.
- Contribute knowledge in support of quality decisions regarding internal planning and AFTD’s overall strategic direction.
- Enhance and leverage AFTD visibility as the leading advocacy organization in FTD
- Consult and share insights with AFTD research and communications staff as they create, tailor, and market educational programs that bring the patient and family perspective to industry and government partners.
- Conscientiously follow company policies and practices and take care of organizational property.
- Travel for organizational meetings and events as needed.
- Master’s degree in a healthcare related field required. MSN a plus
- Licensure in Nursing or Social Work a plus
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible clinical experience in FTD, dementia or other neurodegenerative diseases
- Demonstrated experience managing staff
- Demonstrated program development experience
- Deep critical thinking and problem-solving/analysis skills with ability to develop frameworks for evaluating and recommending cross-functional options and solutions
- Strong attention to detail required
- Proficient in full Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proficient in and comfort utilizing web-video platforms eg: Zoom
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and comfort working with wide-ranging community online, by phone and in person
- Ability to analyze and respond to educational needs
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to work on a wide variety of projects; lending support where needed
- Ability to approach work with a pleasant and professional demeanor
Travel requirements = approximately 15%
Domestic air travel as well as a valid driver’s license and ability to drive to meeting locations
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
AFTD values its staff and all who work with us to advance our mission. We practice trust, cultivate creativity, and incorporate input from all, seeking to grow and learn in service to families at every stage on an FTD journey.
If you are interested in learning more about this excellent career opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume. Only applications with a cover letter will be considered.