- 290 King of Prussia Rd, Wayne, PA 19087, USA
Help us lead the fight against young-onset dementia. Dedicated to addressing frontotemporal degeneration (FTD), the most common dementia for people under 60, AFTD is a leading global authority on this disease. We are the only national U.S. organization dedicated both to advancing FTD research and providing help and support to improve quality of life for people affected today.
AFTD is mission-driven. Founded by a volunteer in 2002, AFTD raises awareness of this misunderstood disease while supporting people with FTD and their families. We educate healthcare professionals and advance collaborative research. We have a growing staff and a robust national network of thousands of volunteers and individual donors, dedicated to achieving a world with compassionate care, effective support, and a future free of FTD. For all who can benefit from it, we bring information, resources, and opportunities to connect – seeking to change the experience of a devastating disease from one of isolation to one of empowerment and connection.
Bring hope to others. AFTD channels the pioneering spirit of Helen-Ann Comstock, our founder and Board member who saw a world lacking resources to address FTD and chose to take action. As colleagues, we continue Helen-Ann’s work, and we do so with determination, creativity, compassion and resolve. AFTD strives to create a place where team members can learn, grow and support each other. If you have always had a passion to make a positive difference in people’s lives – but are seeking a way to channel that passion – we are assembling the team to do just that. We hope you’ll join us by applying for an essential role!
Join our team. AFTD seeks a driven and talented professional to take on the role of Volunteer Coordinator. If the idea of bringing information, resources, help, support and hope for a better future to families across the U.S. is compelling – and if you bring a natural talent for collaborating and communicating with others – a role at AFTD could be a great fit for you.
Visit www.theaftd.org for more information.
The Volunteer Coordinator is directly responsible for engaging with AFTD’s national volunteer network and developing and owning volunteer recruitment, orientation/onboarding, retention, and recognition efforts. He/she is responsible for developing a deep understanding of an individual volunteer’s interests and connecting them with activities that meet those interests. The Volunteer Coordinator will establish strong ties across AFTD’s national volunteer network and contribute to the development of leaders within the volunteer community. He/she will work closely with AFTD staff to ensure volunteer placements meet both volunteer and organizational needs.
Essential Job Functions
- Relationship Building: Develop and maintain effective supportive relationships with volunteers; provide initial and ongoing communication and engagement through each volunteer’s tenure.
- Meeting Planning & Facilitation: Plan and facilitate online meetings that offer opportunities for volunteers to connect and gain a sense of camaraderie and community; assist with planning annual Volunteer Leadership Summit; attend regional events to represent AFTD.
- Volunteer Database Administration: Maintain volunteer database which houses comprehensive listing of all volunteers, location, and interests; utilize the database to track volunteer activity; contribute to development of scalable automated processes to ensure ease of tracking as the volunteer network grows.
Other Job Functions
- Interview and screen new volunteers and ensure completion of the on-boarding process.
- Match volunteers with specific activity of interest and ensure a positive volunteer experience.
- Communicate and ensure volunteers follow administrative processes and procedures.
- Supervise volunteer ambassadors and volunteer captains; maintain regular communication.
- Work closely with AFTD staff in each department who supervise the work of the volunteers.
- Contribute to AFTD publications and materials for volunteer program promotion and recruitment.
- Oversee volunteer awareness activities in assigned area, including Meet and Greets and table settings.
- Relay information of what is being learned from volunteers to all AFTD staff to help further the mission.
- Assist with planning and orchestrating of annual volunteer recognition activities.
- Travel overnight (anticipated 3-4 trips a year) throughout the continental US.
- Occasional evening or weekend work to accommodate volunteer schedules.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience may also be considered
- 1-2 years of professional experience in an office setting; experience working with volunteers and/or personal experience as a volunteer is preferred
- Professional, conscientious, and collaborative manner is required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- Ability to engage in constructive conversations via phone, webcam, and in person is strongly preferred
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills are required
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to multi-task are required
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are required
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
AFTD values its staff and all who work with us to advance our mission. We practice trust, cultivate creativity, and incorporate input from all, seeking to grow and learn in service to families at every stage on an FTD journey.
If you are interested in learning more about this excellent career opportunity, please submit your cover letter, a résumé, and a brief writing sample. Only applications with a cover letter will be considered.