Major Gifts Officer
The National Alliance for Eating Disorders (The Alliance) is the leading national nonprofit organization providing referrals, education, and support for individuals experiencing eating disorders and their loved ones. Since October 2000, we have worked tirelessly to raise awareness; eliminate secrecy and stigma; promote access to care; and support those susceptible to, currently experiencing, and recovering from eating disorders. The Alliance offers comprehensive services, including: Support and referrals through both our free help-line and comprehensive referral website/app; Free, weekly, therapist-led support groups nationwide (virtual and in-person) for those experiencing eating disorders and for their loved ones; Educational presentations and training days; Direct, low-cost, life-saving, outpatient treatment to underinsured and uninsured adults in the South Florida community; and more.
The National Alliance for Eating Disorders is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin or ancestry, body shape/size physical or mental disability, marital status, handicap, and any other basis protected by federal, state, or local laws. We are committed to the equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all of our departments and programs. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages, and work to ensure that all voices are seen, heard, and valued.
** Deadline to apply: 12/3/2023 - Please include a cover letter with resume **
Reporting to the Director of Resource Development, the Major Gifts Officer will play a critical role in identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors who have the capacity to make an annual gift of $10,000 or more to support The Alliance’s philanthropic priorities. The successful candidate will have an excellent track record closing five figure gifts and creating data-driven strategies that inspire and engage donors.
The ability to help our donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and clearly communicate the organization’s mission is key. This is a new position and will play an integral role in the building of a successful major gifts program and strengthening The Alliance’s culture of philanthropy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Builds and manages a dynamic and diverse portfolio of 150-200 major donor prospects and donors in various stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Works collaboratively with the Development team to create compelling proposals and presentations that align with donors’ interests and The Alliance’s priorities.
- Develops and implements personalized cultivation plans to deepen relationships and engage donors in The Alliance’s mission and initiatives.
- Makes direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assist the board and other staff with their solicitation (e.g., provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications).
- Tracks and monitors major gift prospects assigned to staff and volunteers and provide support to ensure productive donor development.
- Creates customized stewardship plans, including mission-centric experiences, to express gratitude and foster long-term donor engagement.
- Ensures that major donors receive regular and meaningful updates on the impact of their gifts.
Planning & Research
- Collaborates with Director of Resource Development, and program departments to identify funding priorities, align fundraising efforts, and leverage opportunities for philanthropic support.
- Works with Resource Development Coordinator on prospect research and develops leads from others within The Alliance to build the donor pipeline.
- Provides input on the strengthening of the existing Annual Fund donor pipeline and identifies cultivation opportunities for newly qualified and highly rated prospects into the Major Gifts program.
- Develops and maintains relationships with other professional advisors (i.e., attorneys, CPAs, trust officers, etc.) who can influence major gift decision making.
- Works with the Resource Development team to ensure the fundraising program is leveraging major gift and prospect research best practices and is achieving the highest levels of competency and productivity toward meeting fundraising revenue goals.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date records of all interactions and communications into DonerPerfect.
- Keeps current on estate and tax laws as they relate to charitable giving.
- Provides monthly status reports on progress toward goals.
- Manages special projects as requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Three years’ experience in major gift fundraising with a national organization
- Demonstrated track record of closing five figure gifts.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors to develop relationships between them and The Alliance.
- Highly analytical and reliant on data to identify and qualify major gift prospects.
- Excellent relationship skills including building and growing personal relationships with successful outcomes.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and writing skills and a demonstrated record of independent productivity.
- Familiar with CRM database systems, DonorPerfect preferred, alongside a strong knowledge of MS Office.
- Capacity to manage confidential information, sensitive issues and situations with tact and great skill.
- Interested in learning and developing professionally.
- Must have a valid Florida driver’s license and be willing to travel.
The Alliance takes pride in offering a robust benefits package to its employees. Below is an overview of some of the offered benefits.
18 PTO days
7 paid holidays
1 floating holiday to use at your discretion
40 hours of remote work per month
Medical Health Insurance (Alliance covers 65% of monthly premium)
Access to Dental, Vision, other Ancillary Insurances
Employee Assistance Program
Jury and voting leave
Partially paid maternity/paternity leave
A competitive salary, commensurate with your skills and experience.