Development and Communications Coordinator
- 540 President St, Brooklyn, NY 11215, USA
The Advocacy Institute was created to support the legislative advocacy of social justice and movement-building organizations in across New York State. In the last 5 years, we’ve helped hundreds of organizers and advocates engage in more efficient and effective legislative advocacy. The Advocacy Institute is a high impact work-environment. We create and sustain this environment by engaging proactively in intentional and transparent discussions about identity, power, oppression, trust, capacity building, teamwork, and performance. Throughout, we ground ourselves in a commitment to feminist, multiracial leadership.
Overview & Responsibilities
The Development and Communications Coordinator will report directly to Marissa Martin. They will support both institutional and individual fundraising and assist in accomplishing the Advocacy Institute’s development goals. With regard to institutional fundraising, they will manage grant proposal and reporting timeline and draft grant proposals and reports coordinating with other team members to deliver specific components (like program outcomes, finances, etc.). With individual donors, they will work with the Executive Director to develop a plan for each individual, assist in executing meetings and asks and support fundraising events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft, prepare and submit grant proposals and reports
- Assist Executive Director, board members, and other team members in securing financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Manage prospect research for individual, foundation and corporate fundraising.
- Work with the Development Committee(s) chair(s) to coordinate annual calendar and meeting agendas for the Development Committee.
- Manages the design and maintenance of donor and prospect records, gift management systems, and informational reports.
- Manage cultivation, acknowledgment and recognition programs
- Work with Engagement Manager to develop and implement AI’s communications strategy via social media and other publications.
Education and/or Experience
- Experience with social justice movement work
- Experience managing databases
- Experience with marketing and/or customer service delivery
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to develop and manage a wide range of stakeholder relationships, including members, clients, partners and funders
- Ability to manage multiple bodies of work, both short and long term effectively, simultaneously
- Ability to motivate team members, understand obstacles to high performance and remove them
- Knowledge about the social justice landscape in New York
- Knowledge of how legislative advocacy campaigns work, the roles and responsibilities involved, common pain points and what organizations need in order to achieve wins
- Skills: Project and event planning with an emphasis on logistical details
- Skills: Meeting facilitation and time management
- Skills: Use of digital platforms to effectively communicate and deliver value to members
- Skills: Basic online research about individuals, policies, campaigns, etc.
- Skills: Creating online surveys from educational specifications
- Skills: Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Skills: Basic graphic design
- Skills: Digital file organization
- Skills: Account management proficiency for online tools and services (aka getting the most out of customer support!)
- This position is based in a shared office space in Brooklyn, NY with elevator access
- The assigned workspace is a desk in a small open office within a larger shared work area. It has a moderate level of noise and interruptions.
- The office location is in Gowanus in Brooklyn
Time & Compensation
- This is a full time position of approximately 40 hours per week starting as soon as the position is filled
- Competitive benefits package includes full medical, dental and vision coverage as well a 403b retirement account
- 12 days vacation as well as two week winter holiday
- Salary range is $55,000-$60,000 correlated to alignment with experience and skills
Thank you for your interest in the Advocacy Institute!
- To apply, please submit an application package that includes the following:
- Cover letter
- Written response to these prompts:
- How do you know that you have a great attention for detail?
- Walk me through a moment when you discovered that you’d made a mistake that affected others and how you handled it.
- Is it important for you to work at a social justice organization? If so, why?
Also, please note:
- The Advocacy Institute is a project of the Tides Center, an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, transgender, and gender non-conforming people are encouraged to apply.
- We will process applications based on the order in which they were received. We will fully consider all application packages that are submitted before we close the application portal.