Junior Software Developer
- 540 President St, Brooklyn, NY 11215, USA
The Advocacy Institute was created to support the legislative advocacy of social justice and movement-building organizations in across New York State. In the last 5 years, we’ve helped hundreds of organizers and advocates engage in more efficient and effective legislative advocacy. The Advocacy Institute is a high impact work-environment. We create and sustain this environment by engaging proactively in intentional and transparent discussions about identity, power, oppression, trust, capacity building, teamwork, and performance. Throughout, we ground ourselves in a commitment to feminist, multiracial leadership.
Overview & Responsibilities
The Junior Software Developer will report directly to Wesley Clark Bastardi. The Junior Software Developer helps to drive the development of our technology tools and data engineering processes. The position is part of a team that builds and produces products to satisfy our internal, member, and client needs. It requires someone with software development experience, technical problem-solving ability, an excellent team-player mindset, and the ability to operate effectively in a social justice work environment. This is a small team. The work for the position ranges from website updates to CRM integrations and customizations to data management to the addition of new features to existing technology tools to the building of new technology products. As you can see, there is a wide variety of technology work to be done. In addition, we also have some technical debt to resolve in our data models and codebase. We are open to teaching, mentoring, and learning together.
We have deployed a Ruby on Rails application that we use to manage several datasets related to elected officials. We sync these datasets between different platforms (i.e. Podio, PostgreSQL, CARTO). We also host a members-only portal and generate visually engaging, data-driven materials for advocates, usually in React. There's also an API that serves up data to our interactive legislator maps.
Technology at the Advocacy Institute is in a state of transition, so you would be joining at an exciting and dynamic time when there are a number of different technology projects happening.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Help to build out the product portfolio of tools used by our members and clients to optimize their advocacy and ability to impact public policy
- Help to build a portfolio of internal tools that support our goals, workflows, and provide data needed for key management decisions
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and help support the implementation of such changes
- Experiment with new technologies and advise others on how the organization can push a tech-forward mentality
- Additional duties may be required
Education and/or Experience
- Experience with software development
- College degree, bootcamp graduate, or equivalent software development experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ruby on Rails (or a modern web framework and willingness to learn)
- Data management and database development experience
- Technical problem solving skills
- Ability to convey complex technical topics to a non-technical audience
- Familiarity with our current tech stack
Nice to have:
- Experience with other programming languages
- Experience building with 3rd party APIs
- Project management experience
- Spreadsheet data manipulation skills
- Experience with web analytics
- Experience with HubSpot or other CRMs
- Experience designing user interfaces with a focus on accessibility
- Experience with social justice movement work
- This position is based in a shared office space in Brooklyn, NY with elevator access
- The assigned workspace is a desk in a small open office within a larger shared work area. It has a moderate level of noise and interruptions.
- The office location is in Gowanus in Brooklyn
Time & Compensation
- This is a full time position of approximately 40 hours per week starting as soon as the position is filled
- Competitive benefits package includes full medical, dental and vision coverage as well a 403b retirement account
- 12 days vacation as well as two week winter holiday
- Salary range is $60,000-$65,000 correlated to alignment with experience and skills
Thank you for your interest in the Advocacy Institute!
- To apply, please submit an application package that includes the following:
- Cover letter
- Written response to these prompts:
- How do you know that you have a great attention for detail?
- Walk me through a moment when you discovered that you’d made a mistake that affected others and how you handled it.
- Is it important for you to work at a social justice organization? If so, why?
Also, please note:
- The Advocacy Institute is a project of the Tides Center, an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, transgender, and gender non-conforming people are encouraged to apply.
- We will process applications based on the order in which they were received. We will fully consider all application packages that are submitted before we close the application portal.