Systems Engineer II
- Technology CF Job Family: Security
- Group Function: Tesco Technology
Tesco Bengaluru: We are a multi-disciplinary team creating a sustainable competitive advantage for Tesco by standardising processes, delivering cost savings, enabling agility, providing cutting-edge technological solutions and empowering our colleagues to do ever more for our customers. With cross-functional expertise in Global Business Services and Retail Technology & Engineering, a wide network of teams and strong governance we reduce complexity thereby offering high quality services for our customers. Tesco Bengaluru, established in 2004 to enable standardisation and build centralised capabilities and competencies, makes the experience better for our millions of customers worldwide and simpler for over 4,40,000 colleagues.
Tesco Technology consists of people from a number of different backgrounds, but having a common purpose to serve our shoppers a little better every day with our retail technological solutions. We shared a common interest in harnessing innovations in technology to enhance their shopping experience at Tesco stores. Whether making products, software or systems, our teams focuses on various aspects from taking strategic ownership of the architecture to delivering technological solutions such as design, testing, deployment, infrastructure, operation and security of the systems to ensure agile, smooth and safe operations. These help us to deliver the maximum business impact. Teams refine their internal processes to best fit their own needs, working to build core capabilities in application and services. We collaborate globally across teams to build end-to-end customer-facing solutions, as well as to share knowledge, experience, tools and techniques.
At Tesco, inclusion means that Everyone?s Welcome. Everyone is treated fairly and with respect; by valuing individuality and uniqueness we create a sense of belonging.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the heart of Tesco. It is embedded in our values: we treat people how they want to be treated. We always want our colleagues to feel they can be themselves at work and we are committed to helping them be at their best.
Across the Tesco group we are building an inclusive workplace, a place to actively celebrate the cultures, personalities and preferences of our colleagues ? who in turn help to build the success of our business and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
We are seeking an experienced engineer to lead next gen monitoring (Observability) initiative.
· In this role, you will drive and implement monitoring(observability) strategy across 100+ microservices and Legacy application at Tesco.
· From collecting telemetry data to making system health visible, you will be the key player helping reporters, engineers, and executives use data to improve the health of our systems.
· As release faster time to market is key for our software developers the role is also to make sure we are providing friction less, easy\simple adoption of the monitoring tools along with huge focus on standards so that the monitoring modules can be reused where needed.
· The principle of providing easy to adopt solutions for our developer community sounds simple, but it takes a lot of methodological and technical skills to achieve simplicity for complex software developer environment.
· We’re looking for someone with experience using monitoring(observability) data to debug systems, to reduce the frequency and length of production incidents, and to provide a cohesive overall view of systems health. Strong opinions about what works and what doesn’t in the next gen monitoring(observability) space is a plus.
The individual we are looking for will:
- Be able to build solid working relationships with peers and senior leadership
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills, tailored to differing levels of seniority and technical understanding
- Be a flexible and independent worker, able to manage their work in a dynamic environment
- Find new trends in technology exciting, and be keen to explore them
- Be energetic, open, and transparent in all that they do
- Improve Tesco’s monitoring landscape, allowing easy access to metrics, and traces
- Work with over 100+ teams in a hands-on consulting role to understand what the standards and key top-level metrics are for specific workflows important for Tesco
- Provide technical insight over what instrumentation suits the needs of Tesco applications
- Work with new codebases and a variety of different tech stacks used by Tesco applications
- Build quality dashboards that provide visibility and standards for key indicators to understand the health of our most critical systems
- Help engineers better understand their systems through distributed tracing
- Have observability and tooling instrumentation experience like new relic one , Datadog .
- Have extensive experience developing and modifying dashboards
- Be able to understand and articulate what key metrics are useful to visualize that can be implemented into monitoring dashboards
- Have excellent debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Be proficient in the development of automated tools (Jenkins , azure Devops , ansible ), systems, and services in multiple technology domains
- Have proven understanding of the value of Observability as a practice
- Have understanding and working experience with Opentelemetry and open metrics
- Have understanding and working experience with Prometheus\promethean metrics
- Have understanding and working experience in monitoring Kubernetes and containers metrics
On behalf of Tesco Bengaluru, we must caution all job seekers and educational institutions that Tesco Bengaluru does not authorise any third parties to release employment offers or conduct recruitment drives via a third party. Hence, beware of inauthentic and fraudulent job offers or recruitment drives from any individuals or websites purporting to represent Tesco. Further, Tesco Bengaluru does not charge any fee or other emoluments for any reason (including without limitation, visa fees) or seek compensation from educational institutions to participate in recruitment events.
Accordingly, please check the authenticity of any such offers before acting on them and where acted upon, you do so at your own risk. Tesco Bengaluru shall neither be responsible for honouring or making good the promises made by fraudulent third parties, nor for any monetary or any other loss incurred by the aggrieved individual or educational institution.
In the event that you come across any fraudulent activities in the name of Tesco Bengaluru, please feel free report the incident at [email protected]