2D Lead Artist
The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
What you'll do:
As a 2D Lead Artist you will run a variety of high-profile projects from within our London team. You will be expected to be creative and have a natural eye for photorealistic VFX work, ensuring that projects are delivered to the highest standards.
Throughout the duration of a project, you will be a key figure in executing and managing the creative output, both as a team leader and a team player.
We pride ourselves on the images we create and the collaborative client experience. We welcome both creative and technical thinkers into our tight knit department.
As the 2D Lead Artist, you will drive sometimes highly complex projects from the initial pitching stage through to shoot supervision, production and delivery.
You will be the lead compositor and responsible for managing the creative output, client sessions, the timeline, conforms and edit of such projects, delegating where appropriate.
Internally you will be responsible for managing and supervising a team of artists on a project both locally and sometimes collaborating with other studios within the group.
You will work alongside world class talent on top tier often award winning jobs.
What we'll do:
The Mill will support and nurture your ongoing development in areas such as but not limited to: VFX supervision, training for inhouse tools, colour workflows, outsourcing, software and pipeline tools.
As Lead Artist you will also have the opportunity to represent The Mill in a professional way at both internal and external events or conferences.
We welcome conversations regarding a ‘hybrid working’ environment going forwards.
- Attend pre-production meetings and quote jobs as required.
- Lead meetings with Directors and Production companies and provide detailed, practical solutions to creative ideas.
- Shoot supervision: represent The Mill on set, working with Directors and crew. Collect all required data and ensure the footage is usable and within the scope of the agreed work.
- Lead and manage high profile and complex VFX projects that delivers to creative expectations, schedule and budget.
- Embrace client feedback in a constructive manner, and understand how to guide clients through the creative process.
- Manage local & remote teams of VFX artists.
- Demonstrate strong leadership, mentoring, and proactive problem-solving skills.
- Work closely with production and manage expectations on progress throughout projects.
- Work in coordination with other artists and departments to ensure Mill standards are maintained at all times.
- An expectation of this role is to not only nurture and deepen existing relationships with directors, production companies and agencies, but also to strive to create new connections with clients.
- Work closely with scheduling to make sure artists are well-integrated into jobs.
- Work closely with the Heads of 2D, VFX Supervisors and 3D CG artists to research, develop and implement new technology and creative ideas.
- Manage and mentor more junior 2D Artists, co-ordinate their VFX output, ensure high levels of quality control and help them progress into Lead roles.
- At least 5 years’ experience as a VFX artist.
- Highly developed knowledge of VFX workflows and associated pipelines.
- An excellent creative eye.
- Proven experience of managing teams of 2D Artists.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Exceptional problem solving skills.
- Proficient in Nuke. With an advanced understanding of a compositing and timeline software i.e. Flame or NukeStudio / Hiero.
Please ensure you provide a link to a recent showreel as part of your application.
Please click here to review our privacy notices for job applicants.
At The Mill, we want to work with the best people and we want them to have a great career with us. We will make reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process and beyond to help people shine and enable them to show us their skills and experience. We are committed to an inclusive workplace that reflects the needs of a diverse workforce. We will offer flexible working practices and make relevant workplace adjustments for employees who need them to be at their best.