Senior Software Developer - Unreal / Virtual Production
Technicolor Creative Studios is a creative technology company providing world-class production expertise driven by one purpose: The realization of ambitious and extraordinary ideas. Home to a network of award-winning studios, MPC, The Mill, Mikros Animation and Technicolor Games, we inspire creative companies across the world to produce their most iconic work.
Our global teams of artists and technologists partner with the creative community across film, television, animation, gaming, brand experience and advertising to bring the universal art of storytelling to audiences everywhere.
MPC VFX is part of Technicolor’s premiere portfolio of VFX brands and services providing offerings tailored to the specific creative and storytelling needs of each project. Within this collective, MPC has built a reputation for industrial-scale production of images, and the software development to enable this.
MPC has been at the forefront of Realtime and Virtual Production for years, with those efforts participating in Oscar nomination and wins, and we're renewing our efforts to remain at the bleeding edge of those offerings for our clients.
Does this look like you? Inventive, passionate about Realtime, with a sense for practical problem solving, and and an understanding of Frame Budget constraints. If it does, we want to hear from you!
- Hands on implementation of core parts of the technology stack between the backend and asset/shot authoring (with feedback or overlap on the neighbouring stack elements as necessary /comfortable)
- Work with a Team Lead and the Heads of Software to inform, design and/or implement solutions
- Work with a Team Lead and internal clients to track, design and/or implement solutions for business unit specific deployments of the global strategy
- Guide and/or mentor more junior members of the team
- Contribute to coordination, tracking, and communication of progress, issues and forecasts within the team and across multiple sites
- Contribute documentation and demonstration internally to the team and to internal clients
- Make significant contributions to the vision and workflow that will shape the most modern services and ambitious tool kit in the industry
Essential skills are those you have matured professionally, or have been practising personally for a length of time and can demonstrate achievements in (e.g. personal repository, demos etc.)
- Experience in a technical role in a media/content centric industry (VFX / AA or AAA Games etc.)
- Most recently in a senior role or similar experience
- Degree in a STEM field, or Technical Animation, or demonstrable equivalent knowledge
- Strong proficiency and dexterity developing in C++ and intermediate knowledge of other languages
- Comfortable working and developing in both Linux and Windows environment
- Expert level user and development experience on a mainstream Game Engine (Unreal, Unity, etc.)
- Familiar with at least one major DCC API (Maya, Houdini etc.)
- Familiar with structured development practices (Version Control, issue management, progress tracking)
- Intimate understanding and vision around one or more of Asset Management Systems, Production Management System, USD, and willing to catch up to the rest
- Strong communication skills towards both a technical/developer audience and non-developer competent users
- Understanding and appreciation for UX, and the ability to demonstrate and iterate ideas through prototypes that might include a GUI
- Keen and able to work in a production centric, responsive, and fast paced environment
- Comfortable with git and experience with an asset friendly source and version control system, Perforce preferred.
- Understanding of where USD fits into asset pipelines, knowledge of the platform or willingness quickly learn it on the job if you have no demonstrable experience.
Desirable skills are advantageous, but not strictly necessary.
We don’t expect candidates to tick ALL the boxes, but if you have any of the following in any combination they will be highly regarded. If you don’t, a keen interest in learning more on the job about some combination will be important.
- Experience in a virtual production development role with experience of related workflows and technology (VCam and Camera intrinsic, LED walls, shot creation and tracking, timecode, video signals etc.)
- Expert level user knowledge or implementation experience on a popular DCC application (Maya, Houdini etc.)
- Familiarity with Shotgun
- Extensive applied knowledge of USD
- An affinity for DevOps
- Experience with, and interest in, data design and parametrization
- Python Programming
- Strong working and development knowledge of Unreals Blueprinting system
- Maya, Operation and SDK
- Houdini, Operation and HDK
Please click here to review our privacy notices for job applicants.
If you require assistance applying, please reach out to [email protected] and we'll be happy to assist.
TECHNICOLOR IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Technicolor complies and prohibits against discrimination on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, medical condition (including genetic characteristics), mental and/or physical disability or handicap, marital status, sex, age, veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political party preference, political belief, socioeconomic status, familial status, registered domestic partner status, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions and any other characteristic or activity protected by federal, state/provincial or local law.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.