- 400 S Maple Ave, Falls Church, VA 22046, USA
- Screening Questions: Test
Tax Analysts offers a casual work environment -- pet friendly and relaxed dress code -- where talented individuals come together to produce great work. Our staff enjoys free covered parking, free coffee and tea, an exercise room with showers, and a working environment that embraces team collaboration and innovation. Here you will have the opportunity to pursue a fulfilling career and still have time for what's important to you personally, such as family, travel, education, or giving back to the community.
We are committed to providing a workplace that offers family-friendly policies and a flexible atmosphere that caters to the needs of working professionals. We strive to offer a realistic work/life balance, competitive compensation, and a generous benefits package.
Based in corporate office, works independently to write tax-related news stories, attending scheduled meetings, press conferences, and events for the Tax Notes Today State online daily publication. Conducts interviews, research, and fact-checking. Cultivates sources and follows leads to scoop industry competitors. Has a law degree and generally has or develops a particular area of technical tax expertise to identify trends and spot the news.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned to meet editorial objectives.
1. Attends, writes, and reports on scheduled tax-related state events with government speakers, Congressional hearings, court decisions, industry press conferences, and other events as assigned with ability to tailor writing style as appropriate.
2. Writes and develops news stories and analytical articles for print and electronic publications. Able to grasp and cover complex tax topics frequently under deadline pressure, zeroing in on what matters without dumbing it down. Proactively seeks out story ideas while balancing daily assignments.
3. Identifies, tracks, and prioritizes developments in assigned beat to ensure competitive coverage in print and online. Helps out team, but is independent and motivated.
4. Collects information by regularly speaking with top practitioners and government officials, attending industry events, obtaining relevant source material, and researching tips and leads.
5. Communicates story ideas, provides updates on writing assignments, and responds promptly to queries during editing process. Attends weekly editorial meetings.
6. May be required to travel to cover tax-related events in other cities.
7. Adheres to established publication deadlines and style protocols (daily deadline is generally 5 PM)
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Solid grounding in tax law fundamentals; ability to wade through complicated topics to identify insights valuable to our subscribers
- Strong writing skills with an attention to detail and diligent sourcing essential
- Superior communication skills to effectively interact and develop source relationships with top government officials and their staffs, academics, lobbyists, and tax practitioners
- Ability to write clearly and quickly under daily deadline pressure and work as a team to adjust to changing priorities
- Beat reporting experience a plus
- Must be able to use a laptop to connect to network remotely, follow-up promptly with email inquiries from editors (particularly when working remotely), and transfer stories in a timely manner
- Must be capable of aggressively pursuing all angles of a given story
- Must be willing to travel
- Demonstrated dependability through punctual attendance (in corporate office or at assigned events)
- Advanced degree in a related field required, J.D. strongly preferred, LL.M. preferred
- Tax, budget, or business reporting experience or specialized tax competence preferred
- Proficiency with MS Windows, Word, and Internet searching
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.