- 400 S Maple Ave, Falls Church, VA 22046, USA
Founded in 1970, Tax Analysts is located in Falls Church, Va. and resides in a spacious office building located midway between the East and West Falls Church Metro stops. Our employees enjoy an excellent benefits package as well as an environment with casual dress, ample free underground parking, an exercise room, and contemporary training and conference facilities.
We offer a competitive compensation package with a wide range of benefits, including 401(k) with employer match; affordable medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; tuition assistance; and a generous paid vacation and holiday schedule.
SUMMARY: Based in corporate office, works independently, often from various locations, to write tax-related news stories by attending scheduled meetings, press conferences, and events for the Worldwide Tax Daily online publication. Conducts interviews, research, and fact-checking. Cultivates sources and follows leads to scoop industry competitors on international tax coverage.Has a law degree and generally has or develops a particular area of technical tax expertise to identify trends and spot the news.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following: Other duties may be assigned to meet editorial objectives.
1. Attends, writes, and reports on scheduled tax-related international or federal events with government speakers, hearings, court decisions, industry press conferences, and other events as assigned with ability to tailor writing style as appropriate.
2. Writes and develops news stories and analytical articles for print and electronic publications. Able to grasp and cover complex tax topics frequently under deadline pressure, zeroing in on what matters without dumbing it down. Proactively seeks out story ideas while balancing daily assignments.
3. Identifies, tracks, and prioritizes developments in assigned beat to ensure competitive coverage in print and online. Helps out team, but is independent and motivated.
4. Collects information by regularly speaking with top practitioners and government officials, attending industry events, obtaining relevant source material, and researching tips and leads.
5. Communicates story ideas, provides updates on writing assignments, and responds promptly to queries during editing process. Attends weekly editorial meetings.
6. May be required to travel to cover tax-related events in other cities or countries.
7. Adheres to established publication deadlines and style protocols (daily deadline is generally 5 PM)
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Solid grounding in tax law fundamentals; ability to wade through complicated topics to identify insights valuable to our subscribers
- Strong writing skills with an attention to detail and diligent sourcing essential
- Superior communication skills to effectively interact and develop source relationships with top government officials and their staffs, academics, lobbyists, and tax practitioners
- Ability to write clearly and quickly under daily deadline pressure and work as a team to adjust to changing priorities
- Beat reporting experience a plus
- Must be able to use a laptop to connect to network remotely, follow-up promptly with email inquiries from editors (particularly when working remotely), and transfer stories in a timely manner
- Must be capable of aggressively pursuing all angles of a given story
- Must be willing to travel
- Demonstrated dependability through punctual attendance (in corporate office or at assigned events)
- Advanced degree in a related field required, J.D. strongly preferred, LL.M. preferred
- Tax, budget, or business reporting experience or specialized tax competence preferred
- Proficiency with MS Windows, Word, and Internet searching
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.