Deputy Editor - News
- Falls Church, VA
Tax Analysts offers a casual work environment -- pet friendly and relaxed dress code -- where talented individuals come together to produce great work. Our staff enjoys free covered parking, free coffee and tea, and exercise room with showers, and a working environment that embraces team collaboration and innovation. Here you will have the opportunity to pursue a fulfilling career and still have time for what's important to you personally, such as family, travel, education, or giving back to the community.
We are committed to providing a workplace that offers family-friendly policies and a flexible atmosphere that caters to the needs of working professionals. We strive to offer a realistic work/life balance, competitive compensation, and a generous benefits package. As a recipient of the Best Places to Work award, Tax Analysts is a CAREing Company.
Writes and edits news stories, analysis, and other editorial content for publication. Works with reporters to develop story ideas and ensure timely submission of articles. May supervise reporters, editors, or both, depending on team needs. Serves as the primary backup for the Editor-in-Chief.
1. Edits legal summaries, abstracts, highlights, articles, and special reports for print and electronic publication.
2. Reads and reviews potential articles for publication from both in-house and outside authors.
3. Interprets, analyzes, and writes articles or summaries of source material, including cases, rulings, procedures, regulation, court decisions, congressional activity, etc.
4. Keeps abreast of current events through pertinent literature, media, and contacts with government officials, tax professionals, industry groups, and others.
5. Enters information in the Content Management System.
6. May participate in company-sponsored conferences, roundtable discussions, etc.
7. Assists the publication Editor-in-Chief with coordinating with other editorial departments to assure quality of published articles.
8. Enforces reporters’ deadlines and output targets.
9. Works with reporters to develop both spot-news and enterprise articles that focus on readers’ areas of interest.
10. Mentors and develops junior reporters and editors.
11. Writes headlines, subheads, content, and photo captions as needed or required.
12. Responds to internal and external queries related to content.
13. Edits for substance, style, and accurateness, conducts research as needed, and ensures proper citation style.
14. In the absence of the editor, supervises publication staff and ensures a continuing high quality of editing and writing.
15. Adheres to established publication deadlines, and company style guide.
- J.D. (strongly preferred) or college degree in English, journalism, or related field required
- 2+ years experience in writing, editing or copy editing print and electronic products, including experience in substantive editing of print documents for online presentation
- 1+ years experience in supervising or managing reporters, including experience in assigning articles and enforcing deadlines
- Previous experience in tax publishing, legal journalism, or at a trade publication preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard style manuals
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.