Lead Architect Bioinformatics
Syngenta is a leading science-based Ag-tech company dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries works together to solve one of humanity’s most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. From the moment a seed is planted through to harvest, crops need to be protected from weeds, insects, and diseases as well as droughts and floods, heat, and cold. As a world market leader in crop protection, we help farmers to counter these threats and ensure enough safe, nutritious, affordable food for all – while minimizing the use of land and other agricultural inputs. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture.
Help drive the invention of safe and sustainable active ingredients by leading a state-of-the-art bioinformatics technology platform.
At Syngenta Crop Protection, there has been significant focus on building digital science capabilities in order to innovate more quickly. Faced with the need to understand biological systems from the cellular to the agro-ecosystem level, we are investing in computational biology and reinventing our approach to Bioinformatics. Our vision is to have biology and chemistry disciplines working together, powered by a refreshed, fit for purpose bioinformatics platform able to exploit data from a broad variety of species and scales, and provide biological insights for faster decision making.
As lead architect for bioinformatics, you are accountable for the overall success of the platform, providing strategic direction and guiding technical governance aspects in its further development. With your knowledge of bioinformatics and architecture, you will act as a key bridge between the R&D community and IT, working to design and implement our technology stack, setting priorities and ensuring the bioinformatics platform grows and remains fit for purpose for changing scientific needs. You’ll be working as part of a team providing specialist scientific and technology orientated skills (including managing our AWS cloud compute environments) as well as foresight of which established or emerging bioinformatics and data integration technologies we should be using.
- Design, build and maintain architecture and technology landscape in bioinformatics
- Act as owner for the bioinformatics systems landscape, connecting R&D bioinformatics needs from different groups with appropriate solution architecture and delivery mechanisms
- Design and implement data integration solutions and management principles for bioinformatics data within the platform
- Provide steer, challenge and feedback on technologies used in the platform
- Lead technology delivery, working within the DevOps delivery team to set the technical direction, produce the designs, identify and manage risks and implement the solutions
- Define fit for purpose operational model to fit different levels of maturity, ranging from agile PoCs to enterprise processing pipelines
- Own the technology landscape and ensure the underlying roadmap evolves to meet future scientific needs
- Translate bioinformatics research goals into effective IT solutions and make decisions on solution architecture
- Encourage FAIR principles and storage of data for reuse, and ensure processing workflows are reproducible to maximize value for innovation
- Bridge the gap between computational science and technology delivery, collaborating closely with researchers and stakeholders
- Stay at the forefront of technology; collaborate closely with Syngenta architecture and cloud DevOps teams to evaluate and select the best hardware approach and software tools for bioinformatics analysis and science delivery
- Document analysis methods and results meticulously, ensuring clarity and reproducibility
- Bioinformatics domain expertise, including standard workflow tooling used in different areas, e.g. for genomics pipeline development, multi-omics data integration
- Experience in bioinformatics research covering multiple species.
- Proficiency in architectural design and delivery
- Hands-on experience creating and managing AWS environments
- Knowledge of solution architecture in an enterprise environment
- Experience managing scientific data
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders across science and IT to devise common solutions
- Extensive benefits package including a generous pension scheme, bonus scheme, private medical & life insurance.
- Up to 31.5 days annual holiday.
- We offer a position which contributes to valuable and impactful work in a stimulating and international environment.
- Learning culture (Together we Grow) and wide range of training options.
Syngenta has been ranked as a top 5 employer and number 1 in agriculture by Science Journal.
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Learn more about our D&I initiatives here: https://www.syngenta.com/careers/working-syngenta/diversity-and-inclusion