Project Finance Officer
Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture (SFSA) is a Swiss based non-profit international development organization aiming at creating value for smallholders farmers in Asia and Africa by promoting sustainable agriculture technologies and activation of value chains that help farmers to increase food production, improve access to markets, and mitigate risks. SFSA, with its headquarters in Basel, Switzerland focuses on scalable innovations and act as a catalyst and incubator. SFSA is present in Kenya as Syngenta Foundation East Africa (SFEA) a non-profit organization, which focuses on creating value for resource-poor smallholder farmers in developing countries through innovation in sustainable agriculture and the activation of value chains.
Activities in Kenya began in 2009, working with farmers in the arid and semi-arid areas of Laikipia. Since 2018, SFEA’s operational strategy has been focused on validating commercially viable business models to facilitate access to a range of agricultural services from production to market, including input and output hubs. Machinery rental options form a part of these business models. Greater mechanization enables farmers to raise productivity, reduce drudgery and free up time for additional off-farm employment. The services also cover training on agronomy and compliance with the quality standards required for access to more lucrative markets, input buying, and output sales. To learn more, please visit www.syngentafoundation.org.
To contribute towards effective and efficient financial management and accounting of the
donor funds and ensure compliance with donor requirements. The jobholder will be
responsible for maintaining all books of records of the project, support to the donor
organizations to maintain proper accounting. He/she will support the Project Manager in
effective management of the project finance and accounts. This position may require minimal field visits.
Primary location: Nairobi
Key Roles and Responsibilities.
Accounting and Programme Finance
- Prepare vouchers of payment, receipt and journals relating to cash transactions against approved bills/invoices in relation to the project.
- Ensure proper process documentation of all financial transactions
- Ensure proper filing of finance related documentation
- Update the donor financial reports and arrange for timely requests for funds
- Verify the project expenses against approved budget and protocol.
- Ensure compliance organizational policy in regard to advances for project related visits.
- Ensure all supporting documentation are available with voucher before payment as per donor & organizational compliance.
- Checking the correctness of retirements of travel advances/impress and ensuring that they are well supported for further authorizations.
- Ensure process and policy has been followed regarding procurement.
- Undertake other general finance duties as required to facilitate the smooth running of accounting and project finance activities.
Budget Management & Cost control
- Assist the Project Manager in operational management of project funds e.g. budgeting/forecasting, documentation and spending.
- Provide information to program team in relation to budget and expenditure
- Support in preparing monthly and quarterly financial reports
- Prepare monthly budget variance report and share with management
Required Qualifications and Key Competencies.
- Bachelor’s degree in business management or any other related subject.
- CPA finalist
- At least 2 years’ experience of donor funded project reporting.
- Good experience and knowledge of accounting data processing and report generating
- Knowledge about tax and statutory requirements
- Knowledge on donor compliance, rules, and regulation especially USAID preferred
- Data analysis skill
- Up-to-date knowledge and understanding of organizational procedures and guidelines
- Experience and knowledge on donor financial monitoring
- Communication and report writing skill
- Demonstrate pro-activeness and responsiveness
- Ability to work as a team player and contribute to improve team performance