Head of Soil Health Data Platform
- Durham, NC, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Syngenta Group is one of the world’s leading sustainable agriculture innovation companies, with roots going back more than 250 years. Our 53,000 people across more than 100 countries strive every day to transform agriculture through tailor-made solutions for the benefit of farmers, society and our planet –making us the world’s most local agricultural technology and innovation partner.
Syngenta Group is committed to operating at the highest standards of ethics and integrity. This is a commitment that we are making to investors, customers, society and employees. Syngenta Group is also committed to maintaining a workplace environment free from discrimination and harassment.
- Lead the development and implementation of a soil health data platform to inform internal R&D efforts across Syngenta Group business units. This platform will utilize advanced sensors in combination with lab analyses to derive a mechanistic understanding of how management practices, plant traits, and inputs impact soil functionality within different agronomic contexts. This will require a combination of data fusion, integration, and a combination of machine learning and mechanistic soil modelling. In turn, these insights should inform product development and lead to a predictive ability for in silico testing.
- The ideal candidate will have at least two years of professional experience developing agricultural data platforms, combined with expert knowledge of soil health science.
- Lead co-development of a database and model framework for soil health data with scientists from Syngenta Group Business Units (Seeds, CP, Adama, Syngenta Group China)
- Provide thought leadership in assessing the most important soil health variables to inform product development.
- Collaborate with other scientists to advance our understanding of soil health.
- Collaborate across business units to identify new functional targets that enhance soil health, address farmer challenges, and create new business opportunities.
- Act as a technical expert for Syngenta in both internal and external forums and working groups.
- Work with the Chief Soil Scientist to set up our Soil Health function in Syngenta Group – technically and organizationally – and to bring this capability into the businesses in the short term whilst also planning for longer-term impact.
- Advanced scientific understanding of how the interplay of physical, chemical, and biological soil attributes lead to functionality.
- Familiarity with the links between regenerative agriculture practices, soil health, and environmental and economic outcomes
- Advanced data wrangling, analytics, and modelling skills. Specific experience with mechanistic soil biogeochemistry and microbially-explicit models preferred.
- PhD in soil science (or related); or equivalent experience
- Minimum 2 years professional experience in agricultural data science or modeling.
- Strong written, verbal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability to understand business strategy and plans.
- Ability to work effectively within a multi-country/matrix environment.
- Ability to effectively interact with senior leadership and represent Syngenta to external stakeholders including farmers, scientists, and policymakers.
- Ability to work independently and proactively in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to find the ideal balance between model complexity, practicality, utility, and usability.
- Ability to adapt quickly within a fast-paced and dynamic work unit.
- Ability to communicate complex science to diverse stakeholders.
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.