Safety Embedded Engineer
- Wilmington, MA, USA
Symbotic’s talented and diverse workforce develops disruptive robotic solutions for warehouse automation and supply chain transformation, drives results and focuses on customer satisfaction. Our modular and scalable solutions utilize existing space and high-speed robotics combined with proprietary software and technology. Since forming in 2007, Symbotic has grown to over 700 employees in North America and supports an impressive, high-profile customer base. We seek candidates who are passionate about our solution and approach problem solving with a creative mind and a commitment to excellence. If you seek a challenge and want to impact the way the world distributes product from manufacturers to store shelves, we invite you to join our team.
The Safety Embedded Engineer will be part of team that designs and develops a state-of-the-art safety system within our automation solution. This role lives within our Bot Controls team, and plays a critical role in delivering a robust safety system that allows our system to run safely and efficiently.
- Design and implement software strategies for embedded devices, including embedded safety system, onboard a high-speed mobile robotic platform.
- Implement object oriented software using up-to-date programming methodologies.
- Understand, document and maintain existing code (C/C++).
- Support system testing of components and subsystems.
- Troubleshoot system problems in production or design by investigating issues related to product performance or production difficulties, primarily through log analysis.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Science in a related engineering discipline (i.e. Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, etc.).
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience developing real time embedded software and device drivers. Familiarity with networking protocols and control systems.
- Experience with C++ coding skills and design patterns, suitable for real time embedded environments.
- Working knowledge of real time or embedded operating systems (e.g., VxWorks, FreeRTOS) and threading and communication issues related to real time operating systems (for mobile robotics or control systems would be ideal).
- Experience with software process and Git version control tools.
- Competent level communication (oral and written) and documentation skills; must be comfortable explaining complex software systems and programming concepts.
- Working knowledge of Linux shell scripting (especially Python and bash), familiarity with grep, regex and parsing; and file system command line utilities.
- Experience with programming and debugging for memory-constrained systems.
- Previous experience working in a team with more and less experienced engineers.
- This person must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and support unscheduled events.
- This person must be a self-starter and highly motivated.
- Experience with data analysis packages, especially Matlab preferred.
- Exposure to robotics and sensors, especially for mobile applications preferred.
Symbotic offers competitive compensation and a dynamic, growing company environment. Benefits include very comprehensive coverage for medical, dental, life, disability, flexible spending accounts, and more.
Symbotic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, physical or mental disability, nation of origin, veteran status, religious beliefs, sexual identity or expression. Symbotic supports a diverse workforce and we are committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect.