- Johnstown, ON K0E 1T1, Canada
Symbotic’s talented and diverse workforce develops disruptive robotic solutions for warehouse automation and supply chain transformation, which drives results and focuses on customer satisfaction. Our modular and scalable solutions utilize existing space and high-speed robotics combined with proprietary software and technology. Since forming in 2007, Symbotic has grown to over 700 employees in North America and supports an impressive, high-profile customer base. We seek candidates who are passionate about our solution and approach problem solving with a creative mind and a commitment to excellence. If you seek a challenge and want to impact the way the world distributes product from manufacturers to store shelves, we invite you to join our team.
Reporting to Director of Operations, the Automation Manager plans and leads the daily activities of the Operations and Maintenance Departments. This requires both a focus on leadership as well as the full utilization of information, procedures and methods to positively impact the personnel and production of the overall system.
Role and Responsibilities
- Ensure that the safety commitments in compliance with OSHA, Symbotic, and our customers’ processes and procedures are met daily.
- Plan and execute the strategy to drive employee and system performance.
- Communicate operating plan targets, action plans, and status on a regular basis.
- Manage compliance for safety and quality programs.
- Achieve contractual obligations relating to safety, performance, quality, and cost.
- Coach the team to respond effectively to issues/problems in the system. Develop standards, processes, procedures and documentation for dealing with specific problems.
- Promote continuous improvement in safety, quality, delivery, and cost performance through industrial standards such as Lean and Six Sigma.
- Support staff or team members by providing training, instruction, and leadership with regards to their personal growth and job performance.
- Strong floor leadership presence to drive the team to achieve daily production goals set by our customers.
- Main point of contact for customer communication and the main interface to Symbotic headquarters.
- Conduct accident investigation per company guidelines and use judgment and discretion to make findings and document them.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field, such as manufacturing, supply chain, or industrial automation.
- 3-6 years of experience in management in a related field.
Skills and Competencies:
- Values safety above all else.
- Regularly interacts with executives and/or major customers. Interactions frequently involve special skills, such as negotiating with customers or management or attempting to influence senior level leaders regarding matters of significance to the organization.
- Utilize progressive coaching and counseling concepts according to established policies and procedures to provide continuous feedback on performance, increase employee retention and improve employee relations.
- Manage a P&L in an operations environment.
- Leadership skills with ability to motivate cross-functional or cross-facility groups.
- Positive attitude, highly motivated, and high energy level.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to promote a team environment.
- Solid problem-solving skills using a variety of statistical and root cause tools.
- Excellent written, verbal, and visual presentation communications skills.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Direct experience with Lean Production concepts and tools.
- Excellent organizational skills that promote efficiency and leadership.
- Ability to work extended hours and a flexible schedule based on business demands.
- Knowledge and experience in logistics, material management, inventory control systems, and manufacturing operations.
- Strong knowledge of automation, warehousing, and business processes.
- Ability to work independent of supervision following maintenance procedures and manuals.
- A high sense of urgency.
- Takes critical feedback and recognition positively.
- Team player
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be able to work at heights of up to 45 feet and within restrictive areas of 36 inches.
- Subject to environmental conditions, protection from weather conditions but not necessarily temperature changes. Must be capable of working in temperatures ranging from 105° to 32° Fahrenheit.
- Frequent ability to lift and move items weighing up to 60lbs safely and efficiently.
- Stand/walk for up to 10-12 hours.
- Must be capable of occasional and/or continuous feeling, seeing, hearing, bending, twisting, stooping, pushing, pulling, balancing, gripping, climbing, crawling, sitting, handling objects, and repetitive movement using both hands and feet.
Symbotic offers competitive compensation and a dynamic, growing company environment. Benefits include very comprehensive coverage for medical, dental, life, disability, flexible spending accounts, and more.
Symbotic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, physical or mental disability, nation of origin, veteran status, religious beliefs, sexual identity or expression. Symbotic supports a diverse workforce and we are committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect.