Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Wilmington, MA, USA
Symbotic’s talented and diverse workforce develops disruptive robotic solutions for warehouse automation and supply chain transformation, drives results and focuses on customer satisfaction. Our modular and scalable solutions utilize existing space and high-speed robotics combined with proprietary software and technology. Since forming in 2007, Symbotic has grown to over 700 employees in North America and supports an impressive, high-profile customer base. We seek candidates who are passionate about our solution and approach problem solving with a creative mind and a commitment to excellence. If you seek a challenge and want to impact the way the world distributes product from manufacturers to store shelves, we invite you to join our team.
Symbotic is looking for people who thrive in a fast paced, solutions oriented and creative environments. Symbotic is seeking a highly talented, experienced mechanical engineer to join its mobile robot development team. The group is embarking on a development program to conceive and design the next generation of robotic material handling systems. This position will primarily focus on NPD within a multi-disciplinary engineering team. In this role, you will lead areas of the conceptualization, prototyping, detailed design and commercial release of complex electromechanical systems. You will have exceptional mechanical design intuition and creativity demonstrated by previous accomplishments. You are naturally curious, passionate about design and robotics, and set a high bar for elegance in your creations. You have the self-management skills and independent judgment to identify the optimum path through an ambiguous and open ended design space. You pride yourself on your communication skills across the organization. You can organize yourself and others, and overcome obstacles in your path to success. You are a consummate team player.
- Invent novel, elegant, reliable solutions to highly integrated hardware systems
- Lead the conception, analysis, prototyping, detailed design and validation of complex electromechanical systems using Solidworks
- Perform feasibility analyses and make recommendations on viability of concepts
- Create quantitative trade studies to evaluate designs and identify optimum solutions
- Be an active, leading contributor in team brainstorming sessions. Contribute innovations that satisfy customer needs and enable new market opportunities
- Develop productive working relationships with cross functional staff to reach your product development goals
- Assist in building program plans and schedules to achieve milestones
- Communicate project status, chair design reviews, present to executive management
- Provide design guidance and feedback on colleagues’ work
- Mentor junior engineering staff on team
- Utilize Mathcad to perform and document mechanical analysis of your designs
- Assist in assembling prototypes, testing, troubleshooting and implementing design changes
- Research outside sources and evaluate and validate mechanical components such as motors, sensors, bearings, etc. from outside suppliers
- Define protocols, write test plans and conduct the necessary testing required to validate the safety and effectiveness of the design(s)
- Perform tolerance analysis on complex mechanical assemblies, and create mechanical drawings
- Create and manage Bill of Materials (BOMs) and Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) in Arena PLM
- Work seamlessly with cross functional colleagues, from EE/Controls/MFG/Marketing
- Full proficiency with SolidWorks CAD and Simulation. SolidWorks PDM experience a plus
- Depth of experience to select and integrate motors, sensors, actuators, materials, power transmission components, etc.
- Proficiency in creating dimensional drawings per ANSI Y14.5 standards
- Ability to devise optimized, cost effective and reliable mechanisms
- Strong mechanical intuition and hands on approach to conceptualizing and prototyping
- Aptitude in project organization, planning and prioritization
Compensation and Benefits:
Symbotic offers competitive compensation and a dynamic, growing company environment. Benefits include very comprehensive coverage for medical, dental, life, disability, flexible spending accounts, and more.
Please… No Agencies, Contractors or Consultants.
Symbotic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, physical or mental disability, nation of origin, veteran status, religious beliefs, sexual identity or expression. Symbotic supports a diverse workforce and we are committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect.