Senior Structural Engineer
- Wilmington, MA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Symbotic’s talented and diverse workforce develops disruptive robotic solutions for warehouse automation and supply chain transformation, drives results and focuses on customer satisfaction. Our modular and scalable solutions utilize existing space and high-speed robotics combined with proprietary software and technology. Since forming in 2007, Symbotic has grown to over 700 employees in North America and supports an impressive, high-profile customer base. We seek candidates who are passionate about our solution and approach problem solving with a creative mind and a commitment to excellence. If you seek a challenge and want to impact the way the world distributes product from manufacturers to store shelves, we invite you to join our team.
Symbotic is seeking an experienced structural engineer to join our Hardware Product Engineering team. In this role, you will be the lead for all things related to the development and release of new concepts and components associated with Symbotic’s structure and racking. You will have exceptional structural design intuition and creativity demonstrated by previous accomplishments. You have the self-management skills and independent judgement necessary to arrive at an optimized design in an efficient manner. You pride yourself on your communication skills across the organization.
- Lead the conception, analysis, prototyping, detailed design, and validation of structural assemblies that interact with complex electromechanical systems typically implemented in the material handling industry
- Perform feasibility analyses and make recommendations on viability of concepts
- Effectively communicate with local inspectors or authorities to resolve site-specific issues
- Define protocols, write test plans, and conduct the necessary testing required to validate the safety and effectiveness of designs
- Assist in building program plans and schedules to achieve milestones
- Design and analyze parts to be fabricated from hot rolled steel (structural) and light gauge cold formed steel (roll formed)
- Work seamlessly with cross-functional colleagues, from ME/EE/Controls/MFG/Marketing
- Communicate project status, hold design reviews, present to colleagues and product owners
- BS minimum in Civil or Mechanical Engineering with an emphasis on structural design
- 5+ years of work experience with structural design
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated proficiency in taking initiative and thriving in a fast-paced environment
Desired Skills: (Not Required)
- Experience with storage shelving or pallet rack design, including AS/RS structures and work platforms
- Experience designing components that balance material costs, fabrication costs, and ease of assembly
- Working knowledge of ANSI codes MH16.1 and MH28.3, and familiarity with European standards for AS/RS system (FEM 9.831 and FEM 9.841)
- Working knowledge of North American building codes regarding storage rack design and experience applying ANSI/RMI calculations to determine code-acceptable designs with respect to steel gauges, welds, reinforcements, etc. in all seismic design categories
- Experience integrating conveyors, lifts, and other MHE into storage structures designed per applicable standards and building codes
- PE license in multiple states is a plus
Symbotic offers competitive compensation and a dynamic, growing company environment. Benefits include very comprehensive coverage for medical, dental, life, disability, flexible spending accounts, and more.
Symbotic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, physical or mental disability, nation of origin, veteran status, religious beliefs, sexual identity or expression. Symbotic supports a diverse workforce and we are committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect.