Manager, Industrial Controls
- Montreal, QC, Canada
Symbotic’s talented and diverse workforce develops disruptive robotic solutions for warehouse automation and supply chain transformation, drives results and focuses on customer satisfaction. Our modular and scalable solutions utilize existing space and high-speed robotics combined with proprietary software and technology. Since forming in 2007, Symbotic has grown to over 700 employees in North America and supports an impressive, high-profile customer base. We seek candidates who are passionate about our solution and approach problem solving with a creative mind and a commitment to excellence. If you seek a challenge and want to impact the way the world distributes product from manufacturers to store shelves, we invite you to join our team.
Symbotic is seeking a Manager for its Industrial Controls Teams. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in topology specification, design implementation, standard engineering practices, and documentation. This person will lead multiple teams of PLC and Robotic controls engineers developing products for our warehouse automation systems.
What you will be doing
- Assess and validate the need for resources and team leads with individual project managers (Engineering and Innovation);
- Provide vision on product technical roadmap, and develop employees and technology in critical areas.
- Discuss and follow-up on project progress with project team leads, ensuring employees deliver on their commitments;
- Define guidelines governing the team’s methods and standards and challenge their relevancy
- Oversee the development, design, and implementation control strategies for robots and other automation equipment using PLCs, motion controllers, and industrial PCs
- Assist with and oversee selection of outside sources, electrical drives, motors, and controllers from outside suppliers; writing of technical specifications for components
- Guide the development of specifications for design of GUIs and other HMIs
- Develop and enforce design and coding processes, design reviews, and verification plans
- Maintain processes and procedures for code source control.
- B.S. in Electrical, Mechanical or Computer Engineering or equivalent controls experience
- 20+ years relevant industrial controls (PLC & Robotic) experience;
- 15+ years of managerial experience
- Controls design experience creating GUIs using appropriate software packages
- Experience with motion control including using servos and VFDs: tuning, programming, and debugging
- Experience with Allen Bradley ControlLogix Processors using Ladder Logic.
- Experience with additional PLC programming techniques: State Logic, Structured text, Function block, SFC, C
- Experience with scripting languages and data log analysis
- Experience with Ethernet/IP and CIP (Ethernet Industrial Protocol)
- Controls design experience creating HMI panels, electrical cabinets and remote I/O
- Skilled in problem analysis and resolution;
- Recognized for leadership and customer-oriented approach;
- A good team player who applies rigor in addressing concerns with a keen eye for quality;
- Capable of working under pressure in a fast-evolving environment where priorities are constantly subject to change
A few extras that will put you at the top of the list
- Experience in materials handling systems
- Experience with FANUC or ABB robotics or similar
- Experience with other PLC technology, such as Modicon, GE Fanuc, Siemens, etc.
- Experience SCADA systems.
- Experience with general purpose programming environments and languages: Linux, C++
Symbotic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, physical or mental disability, nation of origin, veteran status, religious beliefs, sexual identity or expression. Symbotic supports a diverse workforce and we are committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect.