Senior Buyer - Structure & Fabrication
- Wilmington, MA, USA
Symbotic’s talented and diverse workforce develops disruptive robotic solutions for warehouse automation and supply chain transformation, drives results and focuses on customer satisfaction. Our modular and scalable solutions utilize existing space and high-speed robotics combined with proprietary software and technology. Since forming in 2007, Symbotic has grown to over 900 employees in North America and supports an impressive, high-profile customer base. We seek candidates who are passionate about our solution and approach problem solving with a creative mind and a commitment to excellence. If you seek a challenge and want to impact the way the world distributes product from manufacturers to store shelves, we invite you to join our team.
This key position will lead the procurement of structures that support Symbotic robots, conveyors, lifts, and other advanced system equipment. Procurement will include pre-engineered components as well as fabrication services to produce platforms, decks, and other mechanical structures. A solid understanding of commodity metal markets, index pricing, fabrication sources and methods is essential for success. This role is responsible for accurately planning and delivering finished structures from multiple partners (foreign and domestic) on time and complete to multiple customers sites each year.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, organize, and develop structure suppliers and fabrication partners with the objective of optimizing the cost of materials and the installation of same.
- Facilitate and support the work stream from Product Engineering, Layout Engineering, Quality compliance to customer sites through Symbotic logistics.
- Review and analyze data to determine cost saving opportunities through vendor consolidation and/or contract negotiations.
- Prepare Requests for Quote and detail data to analyze a make/buy decision.
- Expertise with planning tools to analyze order/sales patterns to support strategic purchasing decisions.
- Assist in analysis of new trends in market & technology.
- Work cooperatively with peers to implement consistent policies, procedures, strategies, and reporting.
- Identify areas of risk (i.e. quality, cost, performance, etc.) and make recommendations mitigating risk.
- Provide material status reporting and continually improve material shortages and problem parts.
- Maintain the accuracy of purchase item data and planning parameters driving the MPS/MRP processes.
- Analyze and solve purchasing problems with other departments. These include conformance to quality or design requirements, material scheduling, receiving, service levels and price disputes.
- Assist with ERP, JIT, Kanban, or other logistics systems set-up, as needed.
- Other duties for this role will be assigned as necessary/appropriate.
- Five (5) plus years of experience in purchasing of steel components and/or fabrication services. Relevant experience in a steel fabrication or manufacturing facility is a plus.
- Two (2) years in the robotics industry preferred.
- Experience in contract & price negotiation and various commodity indexing methods
- Experience in NetSuite or similar ERP / reporting software package
- B.S. preferred
- Must be able to read blue prints and gather required information
- Must be organized and very detail oriented
- Good communication skills
- Strong computer skills and functional using AutoCAD viewer as a minimum.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, power Point)
Symbotic offers competitive compensation and a dynamic, growing company environment. Benefits include very comprehensive coverage for medical, dental, life, disability, flexible spending accounts, and more.
Symbotic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, physical or mental disability, nation of origin, veteran status, religious beliefs, sexual identity or expression. Symbotic supports a diverse workforce and we are committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect.