Director, Mechanical Engineering
- Wilmington, MA, USA
Symbotic’s talented and diverse workforce develops disruptive robotic solutions for warehouse automation and supply chain transformation, drives results and focuses on customer satisfaction. Our modular and scalable solutions utilize existing space and high-speed robotics combined with proprietary software and technology. Since forming in 2007, Symbotic has grown to over 900 employees in North America and supports an impressive, high-profile customer base. We seek candidates who are passionate about our solution and approach problem solving with a creative mind and a commitment to excellence. If you seek a challenge and want to impact the way the world distributes product from manufacturers to store shelves, we invite you to join our team.
- Direct a group of mechanical designers, engineers, and managers who develop state-of-the-art large-scale capital equipment for the industrial automation market.
- Allocate mechanical design and engineering resources based on business priorities to optimize the efficiency and effectiveness of the completion of projects.
- Mentor staff and provide technical direction in the execution of significant, large-scale engineering projects dealing with robotics, mechanisms and mechanical structures.
- Develop and continuously improve mechanical engineering processes and best practices while ensuring strict adherence throughout the department.
- Identify organizational strengths and weaknesses and take proactive measures to ensure that the department is prepared for future growth. Identify necessary training, develop mentoring relationships, and hire additional staff to ensure the future success of the organization.
- Act as a project leader, contributor, or reviewer on projects when needed/available.
- Work with and support cross-functional teams to ensure the successful launch of new features or products.
- Manage critical vendor relationships involved in both the design as well as the manufacturing aspects of automation system delivery.
- BS minimum in Mechanical Engineering, with 15+ years of work experience and at least 5 years spent managing teams.
- Industrial robotics, automation, and material handling experience is strongly preferred
- Ability to work well under pressure while managing a team of engineers and mechanical designers on multiple, simultaneous projects to meet critical customer-based deadlines.
- Depth of experience to select and integrate motors, sensors, actuators, materials, power transmission components, etc.
- Proficiency with SolidWorks is desired, as well as ability to assess CAD tool selection
- Proficient skill in engineering analysis and calculations critical to product design for automation equipment and robotics
- Proficient in workmanship standards for documentation that supports both fabrication and inspection; experience driving best practices in this area
- Adept at project organization, planning, and prioritization
- Strong mechanical intuition and hands on approach to conceptualizing and prototyping
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in written
- Desire to take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced environment is essential
Symbotic offers competitive compensation and a dynamic, growing company environment. Benefits include very comprehensive coverage for medical, dental, life, disability, flexible spending accounts, and more.
Symbotic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, physical or mental disability, nation of origin, veteran status, religious beliefs, sexual identity or expression. Symbotic supports a diverse workforce and we are committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect.