Director, Advanced Technology
- Wilmington, MA, USA
Symbotic’s talented and diverse workforce develops disruptive robotic solutions for warehouse automation and supply chain transformation, drives results and focuses on customer satisfaction. Our modular and scalable solutions utilize existing space and high-speed robotics combined with proprietary software and technology. Since forming in 2007, Symbotic has grown to over 700 employees in North America and supports an impressive, high-profile customer base. We seek candidates who are passionate about our solution and approach problem solving with a creative mind and a commitment to excellence. If you seek a challenge and want to impact the way the world distributes product from manufacturers to store shelves, we invite you to join our team.
The Director, Advanced Technology will build a vision, strategy, and multi-year roadmap for advanced robotics and automation technology. This work will strike a balance between meeting customer needs and creating technical solutions that are scalable and sustainable for the business. Some specific elements of concern are maintaining class leading system performance, flexibility of solutions for various customers, quality/reliability, and cost. Working in between Product Management and Development Engineering, the right candidate will lead a cross functional team to translate customer needs into technical solutions, and to deliver risk reduced concepts to Development Engineering for productization.
- Lead and develop a culture of innovation and operational excellence with focus on customer needs, broad, divergent thinking for solutioning, and robust risk reduction practices to make concepts ready for handoff.
- Identify and develop mechatronic and robotic system level concepts from ideation thru feasibility and prototyping, targeted at solving the critical business needs.
- Manage the balance of diverging and converging cycles in order to optimize goodness of solutions and productivity of the group.
- Define actionable items for the technology roadmap and execution in order of priority and potential positive impact to the business while considering available resources, customer requirements, and other business factors.
- Work closely with key stakeholders to identify, develop, and present business cases to support strategy, plans, and actions, ensure that initiatives and projects are appropriately funded and delivered.
- Research and identify prospective internal or external technology partners who would augment internal initiatives and be accountable for conceptual deliverables.
- Progressively build a team and capability for System Simulation and integrate into the overall product design and development practices.
- Facilitate cross-functional communications across business networks for shared technology needs, practices, and solutions.
- Collaborate with product, process, and service design teams to ensure advanced technology considerations are included in design development.
- Manage the competitive intelligence and patent portfolios
- Ensure thorough and compliant documentation practices are established.
- Lead the evaluation and budgeting of new technologies, platforms, methods, and systems that align with company priorities.
- Prepare or assist businesses with preparation of capital requests necessary for advanced technology implementation. Plan and prepare annual budget.
- Remain current on technical advancements in technology solutions that could impact the business.
- Attract, retain, and develop strong talent. Mentor, coach, develop team members. Develop, and retain key technical and leadership skillsets. Foster strong team performance to deliver on the roadmap and meet Customer / business requirements.
- This position will be located in Wilmington, MA and may require up to 15% travel.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering required (Robotics, Mechanical, Electronics/Electrical, Mechatronics or related engineering/technical field).
- Master's Degree strongly preferred
- Minimum of 15 years of working experience in a user/customer needs focused advanced development environment.
- 10 years leadership experience working across multiple businesses or functions in an organization.
- 10 years project management and reporting experience.
- Excellent knowledge and proficiency in Automation Technology methods, techniques, and strategies.
- Demonstrated knowledge and implementation of Advanced Technology applications such as automation including the use of cobots, augmented reality, sensors, CPU/GPU, localization methods, actuators, and control algorithms.
- Familiarity with rapid prototyping techniques such as additive manufacturing (i.e. 3-D printing, alternate materials).
- Demonstrated positive impact to the business that translated to clear, business growth and/or bottom-line results by implementing step-function changes.
- Experience with and demonstrated skills in analyzing business needs, determining appropriate solutions and/or opportunities, developing lean implementation strategies, and deploying them.
- Demonstrated skills in analyzing business needs, determining appropriate solutions and/or opportunities, developing implementation strategies, and deploying them.
- Impactful leadership skills and ability to effectively communicate and to coach, mentor, and develop team members.
- Strong analytical, creative problem solving, critical thinking, and organizational skills.
Symbotic offers competitive compensation and a dynamic, growing company environment. Benefits include very comprehensive coverage for medical, dental, life, disability, flexible spending accounts, and more.
Symbotic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, physical or mental disability, nation of origin, veteran status, religious beliefs, sexual identity or expression. Symbotic supports a diverse workforce and we are committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect.