Senior Test Development Engineer - Robotics
- Wilmington, MA, USA
Symbotic’s talented and diverse workforce develops disruptive robotic solutions for warehouse automation and supply chain transformation, drives results and focuses on customer satisfaction. Our modular and scalable solutions utilize existing space and high-speed robotics combined with proprietary software and technology. Since forming in 2007, Symbotic has grown to over 700 employees in North America and supports an impressive, high-profile customer base. We seek candidates who are passionate about our solution and approach problem solving with a creative mind and a commitment to excellence. If you seek a challenge and want to impact the way the world distributes product from manufacturers to store shelves, we invite you to join our team.
We are looking for a best-in-class developer of testing strategies, methods and machinery in support of our Robotics systems. Are you a skilled designer of systems to test robotics? Are you looking to break into Robotics and have a strong aptitude in Electro-Mechanical and Software design? Then we want you.
The Senior Test Development Engineer will have the latitude to establish unique and innovative designs that will be used to stimulate and measure performance of our robotics systems. You will leverage your skills in Hardware and Software to implement these solutions. You will develop your skills to become a subject matter expert on testing solutions and work closely with our manufacturing work cells, quality, designers and customer support teams. You will be accountable to deliver your solutions in support of manufacturing verification, troubleshooting, and directed diagnosis of Symbotic Automation Products.
- Establish yourself as a skilled test designer that can cross between Manufacturing, Design Engineering and Customer implementation.
- Develop and deliver scalable, reliable and cost effective test strategies for New Product Introduction of our Symbot. Your solutions could include custom hardware designs, fixtures, methods, tools, and software that can be translated into procedures for the Symbotic robotic systems.
- Develop fixturing, stimulus and software automation to test our Symbot vehicle. The primary customer is our internal factory.
- Develop Training plans and Debug decision trees for the factory to translate test results into actions. We are scaling production and need Subject Matter experts to lead the ramp and train technicians to triage non conforming Bots.
- Be accountable for assigned test deliverables in support of manufacturing execution to meet cost, quality, and customer delivery.
- Engage with engineering development teams and program stakeholders to develop comprehensive test plans. You will establish the test cases, stimulus and measurement criteria to insure systems\assemblies are built to print.
- Collect and Leverage product performance data to further refine test criteria, analyze trends, and identify any potential manufacturing, product or supplier issues.
- Participate in root cause analysis when repetitive failures of company’s products occur, or failure under warranty
- Help determine if systemic design or manufacturing issues may be impacting product performance in the field or in test and work with other functional organization for resolution
- Assist and train Test and Repair Technicians and, when required, be an escalation point in troubleshooting and repairing non-conforming products
- Lead test development efforts from third parties as needed
- Support reviews of supplier quality data to help identify potential Printed Circuit Board Assembly (PCBA) fabrication errors/issues
- Active participant to in a culture of continuous improvements to stream-line test methods.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Robotics, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer, or other related Engineering discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with developing tests for complex electromechanical assemblies or machine design and implementation
- Experience with embedded systems, electrical control theories, motors, sensors, vision systems and\or communications protocols (CANBus, Ethernet, etc.)
- Demonstrated Software development experience using Python, C# and applying Object Oriented Programming (OOP) principals. Experience with NI LabVIEW and TestStand a plus
- Experience with Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) for software development – Qt, Visual Studio, or other
- Familiarity with reading board layout files and Design for Test (DFM) and Design for Manufacturability (DFM) reports for PCBAs – knowledge of schematic capture and board layout Computer Aided Design (CAD) applications a plus
- Solid Works Experience a plus
- Good communication and interpersonal skills; able to effectively present technical information to management and suppliers
- Strong analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and able to handle multiple tasks with nominal direction
- Interest in developing skills: Apply Six Sigma tools, lean manufacturing principles and lead green belt projects to solve test related problems and improve yields
Symbotic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, physical or mental disability, nation of origin, veteran status, religious beliefs, sexual identity or expression. Symbotic supports a diverse workforce and we are committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect.