Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Wilmington, MA, USA
Symbotic’s talented and diverse workforce develops disruptive robotic solutions for warehouse automation and supply chain transformation, drives results and focuses on customer satisfaction. Our modular and scalable solutions utilize existing space and high-speed robotics combined with proprietary software and technology. Since forming in 2007, Symbotic has grown to over 700 employees in North America and supports an impressive, high-profile customer base. We seek candidates who are passionate about our solution and approach problem solving with a creative mind and a commitment to excellence. If you seek a challenge and want to impact the way the world distributes product from manufacturers to store shelves, we invite you to join our team.
Symbotic is seeking a highly talented, highly experienced mechanical engineer to join our Hardware Product Engineering team to lead New Product Development of our automated systems. In this role, you will lead the conceptualization, prototyping, detailed design and commercial release of complex electromechanical systems. You will have exceptional mechanical design intuition and creativity demonstrated by previous accomplishments. You have the self-management skills and independent judgement to most efficiently arrive at an optimized design. You pride yourself on your communication skills across the organization. You can organize yourself and others, and overcome obstacles in your path to success. You are a consummate team player.
- Invent novel, elegant, reliable solutions to highly integrated hardware systems.
Lead the conception, analysis, prototyping, detailed design, and validation of complex electromechanical systems using SolidWorks.
Be an active, leading contributor in team brainstorming sessions in an Agile environment.
Assist in building program plans and schedules to achieve milestones.
Provide design guidance and feedback on colleagues’ work.
Perform feasibility analyses and make recommendations on viability of concepts.
Perform tolerance analysis on complex mechanical assemblies and create mechanical drawings.
Create quantitative trade studies to evaluate designs and identify optimum solutions.
Contribute innovations that satisfy customer needs and enable new market opportunities.
Research outside sources, evaluate and validate mechanical components such as motors, sensors, bearings, etc. from outside suppliers.
Work seamlessly with cross-functional colleagues, from EE/Controls/MFG/Marketing
Communicate project status, chair design reviews, present to colleagues and product owners.
Perform and document mechanical analysis of your designs.
Implement design changes based off of feedback from testing team for new prototypes.
Support testing team when required to validate the safety and effectiveness of the design(s)
Create and manage Bill of Materials (BOMs) and Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) in Arena PLM
Mentor junior engineering staff on team
- BS minimum in Mechanical Engineering, with 8+ years of work experience with hands-on Mechanism Design
o Specifically, mechanism design of automated equipment involving Motors, Belts, Pulleys, Linear Bearings etc.
o Industrial robotics, automation, and material handling experience is strongly preferred.
- Depth of experience to select and integrate motors, sensors, actuators, materials, power transmission components, etc.
- Expertise in designing parts for of a variety of manufacturing processes: machining, casting, sheet metal, plastics, fabricated assemblies, etc.
- Strong mechanical intuition and hands on approach to conceptualizing and prototyping
- Ability to devise optimized, cost effective and reliable mechanisms.
- Expert experience and full proficiency with CAD software. SolidWorks is preferred.
- A high level of demonstrated experience using FEA (SolidWorks Simulation and/or Ansys) is desired.
- Proficiency in creating dimensional drawings per ANSI Y14.5 standards.
- Adept at project organization, planning, and prioritization
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Desire to take initiative and thrive in a fast paced environment is essential
Compensation and Benefits:
Symbotic offers competitive compensation and a dynamic, growing company environment. Benefits include very comprehensive coverage for medical, dental, life, disability, flexible spending accounts, and more.
Please… No Agencies, Contractors or Consultants.
Please visit our careers page at www.symbotic.com/careers/
Symbotic is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, physical or mental disability, nation of origin, veteran status, religious beliefs, sexual identity or expression. Symbotic supports a diverse workforce and we are committed to a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect.