Harmful Military Technology Researcher
- 3600 McTavish St, Montreal, QC H3A 0G3, Canada
With over 20,000 members, SSMU’s role is to represent students and to offer services since 1908.
The Harmful Military Technology Researcher will analyze documents related to military research on campus, as obtained by students through Access to Information requests. They will be expected to compile summary results in order to inform future campaigns and popular education materials on these topics.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyze documents exchanged between researchers and weapons contractors, including but not limited to emails, powerpoints, progress reports, contracts, and related agreements;
- Conduct background and technical research related to these documents, such as using online search engines and academic databases;
- Document research results in an accessible format for translation into educational and campaign materials;
- Investigate ongoing research conducted in relevant McGill laboratories, including but not limited to projects, publications, and funding sources.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES AND FUNCTIONS:
To undertake other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Vice-President (University Affairs) and Vice-President (External Affairs) from time to time.
The Harmful Military Technology Researcher receives general direction from the Vice-President (University Affairs) and Vice-President (External Affairs).
- High-pressure work environment from both an operational and political perspective;
- Equipment used: Computer, Microsoft Office, academic databases.
- Experience with research, report-writing, and presentation of findings;
- Organization and planning skills;
- Knowledge of how to submit an Access to Information Request;
- Communication skills in English;
- Knowledge or interest in military research, demilitarization, and/or student campaigns;
- Commitment to upholding SSMU policies, including the Policy for a Campus Free from Harmful Military Technology;
- Background in Engineering or Mechanical Engineering an asset, but not required.
- Paid Position: $12.57 per hour
- Hours: On average 6 hours per week (80-hour contract)
- Contract: February 5th, 2018 to April 30th, 2018
- Deadline to apply: January 28th, 2018