- 3600 rue McTavish, Suite 1200, Montreal, Quebec, ca
With over 20,000 members, SSMU’s role is to represent undergraduate students and to offer them services since 1908.
The Equity Commissioners is responsible for supporting the operationalization of SSMU mandates surrounding social justice, anti-oppression, and accessibility. This includes overseeing the Equity Complaints process and the Equity Committee as well as acting as a resource for SSMU Executives, staff, representatives, and student groups as required.
- Co-chairing and coordinating the activities of the SSMU Equity Committee, including programming and advocacy efforts;
- Overseeing the SSMU Equity Complaints process and acting as a resource for any informal and formal mediations;
- Serving as a SSMU representative on the McGill Joint-Board Senate Committee on Equity and/or one of its subcommittees;
- Advocating for equity-related change within both the student body and the McGill University administration;
- Identifying gaps in existing equity structures and frameworks within the SSMU and contributing to long-term, sustainable improvements, as required;
- Acting as a resource for students and student groups on equity and inclusivity for SSMU activities;
- Facilitating communication and collaboration between equity-based groups on campus;
- Producing a detailed exit report, to be submitted to the Vice-President (University Affairs) at least two weeks prior to the end of the contract.
- Knowledge of and commitment to equity principles;
- Organization and planning skills;
- Ability to make fair and equitable decisions under pressure;
- Conflict resolution skills;
- Interest in student representation, advocacy, and/or education;
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Knowledge of SSMU and McGill governance structures, an asset.
- Paid position
- Hours: On average 5 hours per week;
- Contract: May 1st, 2018 through April 30th, 2019;
- Deadline to apply is on April 5th, 2018;