- 3600 rue McTavish, Suite 1200, Montreal, QUEBEC, Canada
With over 20,000 members, SSMU’s role is to represent undergraduate students and to offer them services since 1908.
The Equity Commissioner is responsible for supporting the operationalization of the SSMU’s
mandates surrounding social justice, anti-oppression, and accessibility. This includes overseeing the Equity Complaints process and the Equity Committee as well as acting as a resource for SSMU Executives, staff, representatives, and student groups as required.
- Co-chair and coordinate the activities of the SSMU Equity Committee, including programming and advocacy efforts;
- Oversee the SSMU Equity Complaints process and act as a resource for any informal and formal mediations;
- Serve as a SSMU representative on the McGill Joint-Board Senate Committee on Equity and one of its subcommittees as required;
- Advocate for equity-related change within both the student body and the McGill University administration;
- Identify gaps in existing equity structures and frameworks within the SSMU and contributing to long-term, sustainable improvements, as required;
- Act as a resource for students and student groups on equity and inclusivity for SSMU activities;
- Facilitate communication and collaboration between equity-based groups on campus;
- Diligence and impartiality in execution of duties;
- Knowledge of and commitment to equity principles;
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail;
- Ability to make fair and equitable decisions under pressure;
- Good conflict resolution skills;
- Interest in student representation, advocacy, and education;
- Strong communication skills both in English and French an asset;
- Knowledge of SSMU and McGill governance structure is an asset.
- Paid position: $15.70/hour
- Hours: On average 5 hours per week;
- Contract: May 1st, 2020 through April 30th, 2021;
- Deadline to apply is on April 9th, 2020;