Account Manager, PR + Public Affairs
- 3 Bethesda Metro, Suite 140, Bethesda, MD, United States
- Type of Employment: Full-time
Streetsense is an experience-focused strategy and design collective. We create brands people love and places people love to be. Our interdisciplinary nature allows us to collaborate constantly and approach every challenge with collective intelligence.
Streetsense is deeply invested in its people. From competitive benefits to career mentoring to bagel Fridays, happy hours, and team events for staff, Streetsense is focused on fostering a collaborative environment that inspires employees each and every day.
Streetsense is looking for a media and politically-savvy, creative and enthusiastic public relations/public affairs strategist to join our team in Bethesda, Maryland. The Account Manager oversees a portfolio of clients focused primarily on urban real estate development - although other related industries may also be represented.
The right candidate will understand how meaningful, community-based initiatives and engagement can influence the commercial real estate development process; how a comprehensive public advocacy campaign can impact public perception; and how to leverage out-of-the-box grassroots tactics that dominate online and offline community conversations. Specifically, they will have some understanding or exposure to the entitlement process and the importance of early stage community engagement. They will understand what it takes, both strategically and tactically, to influence the beliefs and behaviors of an audience, using media relations, government relations, and community relations. They are an expert at getting a pulse on the trends and beliefs of micro-cultures and using that knowledge to build coalitions and steer a collective consciousness to achieve a desired outcome.
The Account Manager will serve as the day-to-day strategic lead for multiple PR/public affairs accounts and be responsible for ensuring that key deliverables are client-ready and on deadline. They must be able to develop and execute a creative earned media strategy and be able to manage relationships with key press in local markets, as well as trade publications and national outlets. They will need to be comfortable managing up and down but willing to step in and get the job done when needed. Additionally, the Account Manager will be expected to contribute to proposal research and development, new business pitches, and identify opportunities to expand and enhance client relationships.
Key Tasks + Responsibilities
- Owns and directs client relations for a portfolio of PR accounts with a primary focus on commercial real estate development, but could also include retail, hospitality, and travel + tourism sectors
- Serves as the strategic client leads on assigned accounts and is responsible for all ongoing communications including establishing weekly meetings or calls, creating agendas, setting kick-offs, and responding promptly to all phone calls and emails
- Serves as quality control on all deliverables to ensure they are on-strategy, on-message, up-to-par with client expectations
- Drives strategy for PR/public affairs campaigns
- Manages and coordinates with in-house teams on client projects
- Maintains client revenue level against the business plan and quarterly
- Partners with the Director of Public Relations and account strategic leads to create cutting edge public affairs strategies and ensures they are integrated, highly trackable, that deadlines are met, and the quality of work is high quality
- Works closely with all key stakeholders related to client projects – including, but not limited to, property developers, government officials, and community leaders/micro influencers – to provide thoughtful and nuanced approach to public affairs strategy
- Manages community outreach efforts, developing strong community ties, on behalf of clients including education and awareness of key issues with various publics as well as highlighting project mission, accomplishments and more
- Tracks key industry and government-related news for the account teams and is (1) able to communicate the importance of news/policy development to clients and their teams and (2) identify potential ways to leverage the news/policy development to further client interests
- Helps create community event strategies to further strategic account goals
- Identifies sponsorship and partnership opportunities with local organizations
- Helps develop media strategy for clients given their communications goals and leads the execution of that strategy day-to-day
- Stays up-to-date on industries relevant to assigned accounts to inform strategy and identify media opportunities
- Employs creative approaches to developing engaging pitch angles and timely hooks and understands how those translate across media markets including trade, consumer, and digital/blog platforms
- Has positive working relationships key real estate journalists and editors on the east coast (e.g. DC/Northern Virginia, Philadelphia, NYC), as well as those at national print and broadcast outlets and trade publications
- Primary writer of client talking points, messaging, reporter/publication backgrounders, op-eds and contributed pieces. Has experience placing contributed content in leading publications
- Helps develop strategy and coordinates media for public events
- Trains and nurtures junior account staff so they can grow and learn more about agency workflow, clients, and industry
- Degree in public relations, journalism, political science, or related field
- 5+ years of experience with agency experience preferred
- Must have experience in commercial real estate, retail, tourism, and/or hospitality industries and an understanding of the political environments they operate in
- Demonstrable experience with community engagement and public affairs strategy
- Superior writing, editing, and interpersonal communication skills
- Highly responsive and service-oriented with excellent time management and organizational skills
- Experience in manager-level positions and/or demonstrated superior performance as an account executive
- Proven ability to translate strategies into timelines, budgets, and to-do lists as well as manage their day-to-day implementation
- Familiarity with media monitoring platforms
Streetsense is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
How to Apply:
Select "I'm Interested" and "Fill in Manually" to upload your resume and contact information. At the bottom of the page titled "Your message to the hiring manager," please include the body of your cover letter.