Junior Web Designer
- 3 Bethesda Metro, Suite 140, Bethesda, MD, United States
- Type of Employment: Full-time
Streetsense is an experience-focused strategy and design collective. We create brands people love and places people love to be. Our interdisciplinary nature allows us to collaborate constantly and approach every challenge with collective intelligence.
Streetsense is deeply invested in its people. From competitive benefits to career mentoring to bagel Fridays, happy hours, and team events for staff, Streetsense is focused on fostering a collaborative environment that inspires employees each and every day.
Streetsense seeks a collaborative junior web designer for its Interactive team. A successful candidate should be creatively driven, have an incredible attention to detail and able to take design direction to produce website design and content. We are looking for an individual who is team-focused and is able to deliver high-quality creative work in a fast-paced environment. This role is part of an integrated team of graphic designers, social media marketers, copywriters, and interactive specialists. Clients range from local entrepreneurs and restaurateurs to global hoteliers, real estate developers, travel/tourism destinations, and consumer packaged goods.
This is an onsite position in our Bethesda, Maryland office. To be considered, candidates must submit a portfolio of relevant work along with a resume.
Key Tasks + Responsibilities
- Take direction from art director to produce website designs based on initial creative direction.
- Collaborate with art directors, developers and copywriters to create elegant front- end designs; you should thrive on feedback, critique, and iteration.
- Clearly communicate design decisions to the design team with the use of detailed mock-ups and prototypes.
- Designing visual imagery for websites and ensuring that they are in line with branding for clients and maintaining the appearance of website by enforcing content standards.
- Working within Wordpress to make content updates and use visual editors when applicable.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
- Bachelor's degree in design (e.g., interactive, graphic, visual communications), or equivalent professional experience which can be demonstrated via a portfolio showing excellent design work.
- Experience in an agency setting a plus.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as a web designer, or similar role working with real time web and/or mobile applications.
- Fluency in best practices for web and mobile design.
- Fluency in user-centered design principles along with an incredibly high attention to detail.
- Exceptional visual design skills, including the ability to establish visual hierarchy, layout, typography, and use color effectively.
- Masterful knowledge of several design software/tools, such as Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch or similar tools.
- Experienced in creating web application interface prototypes using aforementioned tools, as well as interactive prototyping tools like Invision.
- Create visual assets for content population of websites.
- Experience using and managing Wordpress to populate and edit content.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects without missing deadlines or details.
Bonus Skills + Experience
- You communicate extremely well in person, but also through tools such as Basecamp and Slack.
- Experience designing with cross-browser compatibility and accessibility in mind.
- Experience with data-driven product development: analytics, A/B testing, etc.
- Experience with Accessibility WCAG 2.0.
Streetsense is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
How to Apply:
Select "I'm Interested" and "Fill in Manually" to upload your resume and contact information. At the bottom of the page titled "Your message to the hiring manager," please include the body of your cover letter. All applicants must include a resume and portfolio in their application.