- 2537 Boston Rd, Wilbraham, MA 01095, USA
It all started in 2008 when Stawco Hospitality purchased what was once called "Jake's Drive-In"--a previously seasonal ice cream and burger joint. With a new, hugely expanded menu comprised of nearly all freshly prepared, in-house recipes and year-round operation, Krazy Jake's was born. In 2010, we expanded to offer breakfast and quickly became one of the top breakfast restaurants on Boston Road. In 2011 we began to offer adult beverages. Things really started to get Krazy when in 2012 we expanded to occupy the entirety of our 4800 square foot building, complete with a full bar and lounge area. Now, in 2018 during peak season we employee over 75 local workers, including returning college students from the community. It all started in 2008 when Stawco Hospitality Group purchased what was once called "Jake's Drive-In"--a previously seasonal ice cream and burger joint. With a new, hugely expanded menu comprised of nearly all freshly prepared, in-house recipes and year-round operation, Krazy Jake's was born. In 2010, we expanded to offer breakfast and quickly became one of the top breakfast restaurants on Boston Road. In 2011 we began to offer adult beverages. Things really started to get Krazy when in 2012 we expanded to occupy the entirety of our 4800 square foot building, complete with a full bar and lounge area. Now, in 2018 during peak season we employee over 75 local workers, including returning college students from the community.
As a line cook, you are part of the engine that powers this restaurant, the person who actually makes the memories and food! Your position is the most intimate with the product being sold, as hands on work will never escape you in our kitchen. Your duties in the kitchen are plentiful as you will have non-stop tasks that you will be doing by yourself and as part of a team.
Line cooks are responsible for food preparation, prep work, cleaning, and customer service; by presenting the best product possible.
Outlined below are the performance standards and job duties that are required of our line cooks. Of course, it is impossible to compile a complete list of all the duties and expectations you will be required to do during your day to day job. The expectations and responsibilities listed here are merely the minimum functions and performance levels that will be required. Also, this list will be updated from time to time and employees may need to meet additional expectations and perform new duties. It is up to you, the employee, to make sure that you can perform at the expected level. If you need additional training or better understanding of the tasks you are supposed to complete – please ask your manager for assistance. Ignorance is no excuse. Furthermore, employees are expected to perform at these levels on a continuing basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of Krazy Jake’s in providing outstanding hospitality and service, at an amazing value, in a fun, friendly, family atmosphere. Allowing us to provide an enriching, fulfilling and rewarding environment for our employees, our customers, our community and our suppliers, one experience at a time.
- Inspect and clean, and maintain food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practice while following proper sanitation procedure
- Ensure food is stored and cooked at correct temperature by regulating temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, fryers, roasters, and other kitchen equipment.
- Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
- Knows and complies consistently with the restaurant’s standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the quality of products served.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to support a smooth service period.
- Handles, stores, and rotates all food products and supplies according to restaurant policies and procedures.
- Turn or stir foods to ensure even cooking.
- Season and cook food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
- Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
- Must be able to ensure safe cooking procedures when an allergen is present, to avoid cross contamination.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Portion, arrange, and garnish food, according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications and serve food to servers or guests.
- Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
- Follow proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
- Carve and trim meats such as beef, veal, ham, pork, and lamb for hot or cold service, or for sandwiches.
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Substitute for or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
- Closes the kitchen following the closing checklist for kitchen stations and assists others in closing the kitchen.
- Check the quality of raw or cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Check and maintain proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
- Maintain Serv-Safe certification; must be familiar with health code requirements.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures.
- Prepare and cook foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Work with all new team members as a mentor to assist with training and development
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offers suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill-in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Not Applicable
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to interact positively with supervisor, management, coworkers, guest, and the public to promote a team effort and maintain a positive and professional approach.
- Ability to produce a high volume of work in a timely manner, which is accurate, complete, and of high quality.
- Ability to come to work regularly and on time, to follow directions, to take criticism, to get along with co-workers and supervisors, to treat co-workers, supervisors and guests with respect and courtesy, and to refrain from abusive, insubordinate and/or violent behavior.
- Ability to understand basic math, and formulas for food preparation.
- Ability to follow standard recipe formats, while using proper measuring techniques
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret production tickets, recipes, technical procedures, procedure manuals, checklists or governmental regulations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, committees, suppliers, employees and guests.
Working knowledge of various computer programs, and software; including but not limited to, email, scheduling systems, POS systems, kitchen display screens, bump bars.
Ability to use basic math and production measurements
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRAITONS:
Serv-Safe Certification, Allergen Awareness Certification, or equivalent; any updated or newly introduced certification.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job included close vision and distance vision.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is usually indoors, in a controlled environment, and experiences; moderate noise; varied temperatures; working on concrete floor; working on surfaces that may become slippery; working around high degree cooking equipment; working around and with power driven food service equipment and sanitation equipment; working with common cleaning chemicals.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Prefer a minimum of one year of previous restaurant experience
- Basic to advanced knife skills
- Grill, Sauté, Fry and Cold Prep experience a plus
- Must have a courteous, friendly and professional demeanor
- Nights, weekends and holiday availability is a requirement
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.