Volunteer Development Officer
- Truro, UK
St Petrocs is an organisation which attracts, develops, and retains talented individuals who are united around a common purpose: to end homelessness in Cornwall.
St Petrocs was established to offer support to those who have nowhere else to go and acts as the last line of defence against someone having to experience rough sleeping. We are an independent, charitable organisation that provides people in need with somewhere and someone to turn to.
Our clients come from all walks of life, and so do we. We wholeheartedly believe that a broad diversity of thought, identity, background, and lived experience makes us a stronger organisation.
From the front-line professionals delivering critical engagement, resettlement, counselling, and accommodation services, to the dedicated support staff working in administration, finance, fundraising and communications, we are committed to building an inclusive environment where people of all backgrounds are treated fairly and feel a genuine sense of belonging.
If you want to be different together, you will feel at home at St Petrocs.
As the Volunteer Development Officer, you will lead the development, coordination, and promotion of volunteering activity at St Petrocs.
Working across the charity, you will identify and develop new volunteering opportunities, establish consistency in approach, and ensure that all our volunteering activities are safe and compliant.
In this strategically important role, you will continually improve the resources, systems and policies that underpin the volunteering programme, ensuring that every team has the skills and tools they need to deliver positive, engaging and beneficial volunteering experiences for all.
Role: Volunteer Development Officer
Reports to: Supporter Care Manager
Salary: £26,351.00 per annum (pro rata)
Probationary period: 6 months
Hours: 20 hours per week
Many of our staff work flexibly, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
Holidays: 33 days including bank holidays (pro rata)
Length of contract: Permanent
Duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Work closely with all teams across the charity to identify and develop diverse and engaging volunteering opportunities (with suitable role descriptions) which will enable us to meet our strategic objectives.
- Develop and maintain systems, standards, policies, and procedures to support volunteering, ensuring all activity is compliant with relevant legislation.
- Plan, implement and manage a structured volunteer recruitment cycle, ensuring that prospective volunteers with the right skills are matched to available opportunities.
- Identify, assess, and control health and safety risks, and ensure volunteers have undergone all necessary safeguarding checks (references, DBS, etc.) and relevant training (food hygiene, manual handling, etc.) to minimise risk to other volunteers, clients, staff, visitors, and the charity’s reputation.
- Create and implement a comprehensive volunteer induction and training package, ensuring that it meets the needs of a variety of volunteer roles across the charity.
- Provide line managers across the organisation with the necessary resources and training to support the effective management, supervision, and development of volunteers.
- Support the development of volunteers’ knowledge, skills, and competence, by sourcing appropriate training for any needs identified during volunteer supervision.
- Maintain records of all volunteering enquiries, participation and outcomes and produce quarterly engagement and impact reports.
- Research, select, and implement an appropriate and cost-effective volunteer management system.
- Drive continuous improvement of the volunteering experience by establishing a Volunteer Forum, giving volunteers a chance to feedback on volunteering policy and process, and the opportunity to have a voice in the direction and future of volunteering at St Petrocs.
- Coordinate a volunteer recognition programme, including an annual celebration event, ensuring volunteers feel valued for all the work they do.
- Liaise with schools, colleges and local businesses who provide students or employees to support young person and corporate volunteering.
- Working alongside the Vocational Development Project team, establish a scheme for our clients that creates opportunities for them to volunteer across the organisation.
- Attend events as a positive ambassador for St Petrocs, promoting and raising awareness of its services and inspiring existing and potential supporters.
- Carry out any other duties as reasonably requested.
You’ll share our core values: Honesty, Integrity, Equality, and Dignity.
You’ll have a proven track record of developing and supporting an inclusive, innovative and successful volunteering programme, and experience of applying best practice principles in areas like recruitment, managing risk, induction and training, communication and consultation/feedback.
You’ll also need experience of providing advice and guidance that empowers teams to engage volunteers, plus a flair for designing, planning and facilitating training and devising resources and/or digital tools to support the development of best practice approaches.
In addition to the criteria outlined below, this post is subject to successful completion of a Basic disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
- Commitment to our service and client group
- Experience of working with volunteers, and knowledge of the recruitment and induction process
- Strong organisational and time management skills, with an ability to balance a varied workload
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to communicate effectively with prospective and existing volunteers, colleagues, and other groups
- Experience of establishing and building effective relationships with diverse people and groups
- Confidence to address groups in information or training sessions
- Energetic, creative and driven, with a proactive and positive approach
St Petrocs is pleased to offer the following employee benefits:
- 33 days annual leave a year, including bank holidays
- Family friendly policies including enhanced maternity/partner pay, neonatal leave, paid time off for IVF treatment, and flexible working
- A focus on health and wellbeing including employee assistance programme (EAP), free eye tests, and free vaccinations
- Competitive pension scheme
- Long-service awards
- Life insurance