Outreach Worker (Maternity Cover)
- Truro, England, United Kingdom
St Petrocs is an organisation which attracts, develops, and retains talented individuals who are united around a common purpose: to end homelessness in Cornwall.
St Petrocs was established to offer support to those who have nowhere else to go and acts as the last line of defence against someone having to experience rough sleeping. We are an independent, charitable organisation that provides people in need with somewhere and someone to turn to.
Our clients come from all walks of life, and so do we. We wholeheartedly believe that a broad diversity of thought, identity, background, and lived experience makes us a stronger organisation.
From the front-line professionals delivering critical engagement, resettlement, counselling, and accommodation services, to the dedicated support staff working in administration, finance, fundraising and communications, we are committed to building an inclusive environment where people of all backgrounds are treated fairly and feel a genuine sense of belonging.
If you want to be different together, you will feel at home at St Petrocs.
As an Outreach Worker, you will find, engage, and build positive relationships with rough sleepers, sofa-surfers, and those at risk of becoming homeless across Cornwall.
You will ensure their basic needs are met (providing bedding, clothing and food parcels) whilst working with them towards finding a route off the streets. This might include finding emergency accommodation and longer-term housing solutions, as well as enabling access to healthcare, support for mental health, and access to services to recover from dependencies on alcohol or drugs.
As part of the wider Resettlement team, you will be expected to provide cover at any of our Resource Centres – currently the Truro Resource Centre and the Breadline Centre in Penzance.
Whilst you will normally work within the services’ opening hours, there will be a requirement for occasional evening and weekend work as directed by the Non-Residential Service Manager. This will include providing support to St Petrocs’ emergency “Winter Service” during the colder months.
Role: Outreach Worker (Maternity Cover)
Reports to: Non-Residential Service Manager
Salary: £26,351.00 per annum
Probationary period: 6 months
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, including some evenings and weekends
Many of our staff work flexibly, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
Holidays: 33 days including bank holidays
Length of contract: 12 months (Maternity Cover)
- Make contact and engage regularly with individuals who are homeless or who are at risk of homelessness across Cornwall.
- Work with clients to identify their social, welfare and housing needs, and prepare comprehensive risk management and support plans.
- Keep case notes and maintain accurate client records.
- Liaise with partner and specialist agencies to enable clients to access their services (e.g. housing, drug and alcohol, health, welfare rights and legal services).
- Liaise with 'Health for Homeless', primary and secondary health care services (including mental health services) to ensure clients receive timely and appropriate care to meet their needs.
- Maintain an effective referral process to all forms of accommodation for homeless clients.
- Negotiate access to appropriate accommodation, and ensure that ongoing client support is available.
- Assist the wider Resettlement team and provide cover as directed by the Non-Residential Service Manager.
- Attend events as a positive ambassador for St Petrocs, promoting and raising awareness of its services and inspiring existing and potential supporters.
- Any other duties as reasonably requested.
You’ll share our core values: Honesty, Integrity, Equality, and Dignity.
You’ll have previous experience of working with vulnerable adults, together with an understanding and appreciation of the issues surrounding homelessness
Importantly, we’re looking for someone who has a real passion for making a difference to the lives of some of the most marginalised and vulnerable members of society.
In addition to the criteria outlined below, this post is subject to successful completion of an Enhanced disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Due to the nature of the role, you must also have a valid driving licence and access to a vehicle.
- Commitment to our service and client group
- Excellent time management skills
- Able to follow processes and maintain high standards
- Comfortable working independently
- Ability to work well under pressure and adapt to changing priorities
- Able to manage conflict and challenging behaviour
- Able to relate to and motivate disadvantaged individuals
- Energetic, creative and driven, with a proactive and positive approach
St Petrocs is pleased to offer the following employee benefits:
- 33 days annual leave a year, including bank holidays
- Family friendly policies including enhanced maternity/partner pay, neonatal leave, paid time off for IVF treatment, and flexible working
- A focus on health and wellbeing including employee assistance programme (EAP), free eye tests, and free vaccinations
- Competitive pension scheme
- Long-service awards
- Life insurance
- Emergency loan policy