Mid-Senior Java Engineer
- Lowell, MA, USA
SquareTrade is the fastest growing company of its kind. We’re revolutionizing a $30b industry with service innovation and attention to customer satisfaction. We partner with some of the largest, most sophisticated retailers and carriers in the world (Walmart, Target, Amazon, Costco, and T-Mobile to name a few), consistently win industry awards, have received tens of thousands of 5-star reviews… and we’re just getting started. A member of the Allstate family, SquareTrade has headquarters in San Francisco and London.
This role is open in Denver, CO and Lowell, MA.
Our team is charged with creating the APIs, frameworks, and backend services that define the products we offer, turn orders into warranties, and handle the intricacies of billing. We do this by challenging each other to have a mindset of constant improvement, automating everything we can, thinking to scale, and wanting to do great work. Following this, our small agile teams are able to build scalable systems to process millions of orders from some of the world’s largest merchants.
But we are not done. Engineering will continue to build out new systems and functionality while also refactoring and rethinking the legacy systems to keep pace with SquareTrades amazing sales growth. This will involve bringing in new tools, technologies, and techniques to add to and adapt our systems to be faster, more efficient, and even more reliable.
- Work in a fast-paced Agile environment
- Participate in the full life cycle of development activities
- Create well-structured, testable, production quality code
- Write regression enabled unit and performance tests against your code
- Leave code cleaner than you found it
- Automate and innovate
- Work with product owners on requirements, design and story break down
- Mentor junior team members and be vested in the growth of your team
- Pride of ownership of the systems you built and the ability to support them in production
- Be a positive influence on the team and organization
- Strong Java skills and the desire to work with Spring and Spring Boot
- 4+ years of professional software development experience in Java based enterprise applications
- 3+ years of demonstrated automated unit/integration test experience
- Solid understanding of RESTful APIs
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Team player
- Be able to learn and pick up new skills and technology quickly
- Be independent and self-directed
- Knowledge and experience in SQL and Linux
- Spring, Spring Boot 2, JUnit, Spock, Groovy, Python
- Knowledge or use of Docker, Git, Splunk, Dynatrace, ActiveMQ, Kafka
- Experience or a good understanding of REST based web services
- Understanding of messaging systems and event driven architectures
- Experience building microservcies
- Knowledge and experience with performance and scalable systems
- Someone who likes technology and keeps up with it; can suggest ways to use new technology improve our code-base; but not someone with a hammer looking for nails
- Specific knowledge and experience in JBoss, PostgreSQL
Some of the benefits of working @Squaretrade include:
- Not feeling stuck! This team has exposure to many different parts of the business, making transitioning easy...we work on developing careers based on what people enjoy!
- Competitive salaries, benefits (medical, dental, vision), flex PTO, 401k matching
- Respect for your work-life balance
- A paid volunteer day to give back to the community
The Team: http://www.squaretrade.com/leadership
SquareTrade is an Equal Opportunity Employer