Senior Data Scientist, Capital
- San Francisco, CA
We started with a simple idea—that everyone should be able to accept credit cards—and we’ve been rethinking buying and selling ever since.
For sellers, we’re creating one cohesive service to run your entire business, from a register in your pocket to analytics on your laptop. For buyers, we’re making it faster to order from the businesses you love and more fun to pay your friends back.
Buying and selling sound like simple things—and they should be. Somewhere along the way, they got complicated. We’re working hard to make commerce easy for everyone.
As a Data Scientist at Square, you will lead projects that derive value from our unique, rich, and rapidly growing data. We partner with product, marketing, and operations teams to drive actionable insights into customer behavior, operational efficiency, and risk. We’re a passionate team of hackers, statisticians, and optimizers who are resourceful in distilling questions, wrangling data, and driving decisions. You will partner closely with both internal and customer-facing teams to bring the voice of our customers to life through data.
- Partner with Square Capital’s product, marketing, and operations teams to identify, prioritize, and answer the most important questions where analytics and modeling will have a material impact
- Drive cross functional analytics projects from beginning to end: build relationships with partner teams, frame and structure questions, collect and analyze data, as well as summarize and present key insights in support of decision making
- Work with engineers to evangelize data best practices and implement analytics solutions
- Collaborate with business leaders, subject matter experts, and decision makers to develop success criteria and optimize new products, features, policies, and models
- Use your experience in analytics tools and scientific rigor to produce actionable insights
- Communicate key results to senior management in verbal, visual, and written media
- Develop risk models that enable financial services for our customers
- Help build the next generation of data products at Square
- An advanced degree (M.S., PhD.), preferably in Statistics, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Economics, or a related technical field
- A consistent track record of performing data analysis using Python (numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, etc.) and SQL
- Experience using statistics and machine learning to solve complex business problems
- The versatility and willingness to learn new technologies on the job
- The ability to clearly communicate complex results to technical and non-technical audiences
- 1+ years industry experience in data-science or analytics
- Familiarity with other data tools such as Hive, Vertica, Tableau, Ruby
- Familiarity with Linux/OS X command line, version control software (git), and general software development
Technologies we use and teach:
- Python (numpy, pandas, sklearn) & R
- MySQL, Vertica, Hive, Redshift
- Machine Learning (e.g. regression, ensemble methods, etc.)
- Statistics (Bayesian methods, experimental design, causal inference)
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.