Senior Software Engineer, Credit Underwriting
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square's growing Banking service has revolutionized how businesses move, store, and borrow money. As a software engineer on the Banking Credit Underwriting Team, you will help us grow access to Credit for our Square sellers. You will be responsible for designing, building, and overseeing underwriting services using data and machine learning technologies to power our lending products. You will work on our backend systems.
- Collaborate with product teams and other engineering teams on new products.
- Work with data scientists and machine learning engineers to develop an automated machine learning workflow applied in credit underwriting.
- Improve our data pipeline to unlock new datasets, both internal and external, and to support both batch and real-time data processing.
- Scale our platform with cloud technologies to meet Square's growth needs for years.
- Lead architectural and solution design discussions, ensuring our infrastructure is performant, fault-tolerant, and maintainable.
- Build well-designed, reusable systems to model customer data, credit review procedures, and borrower experiences.
- Build systems that collect and maintain customers' confidential data while holding Square to the highest standards for security and compliance.
- Experiment with new technologies and teach your peers how to use them in their work.
- Have experience using data and software to guide decisions at scale.
- Participate in ongoing training to maintain current knowledge of BSA/AML and perform BSA/AML responsibilities by job function.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- Software development skills and computer science fundamentals.
- Technical initiative and leadership on previous projects.
- Interest in building modern machine learning systems in production environments to solve business problems, including features, rules, and models, from development and testing to deployment and monitoring.
- Interest in building and standardizing data pipelines for offline and online processing.
- Interest in building scalable architectures using AWS technologies.
- Interest in working on backend systems, from APIs and business logic to optimizing databases, streams, and software engines.
- Interest in working with other engineering teams and partners.
- Bonus: Prior experience in machine learning, data, underwriting, and risk.
Tools we use and teach:
- Ruby on Rails
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.