Senior Software Engineer - Payment Recovery
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
Marketplace under Cash App provides different payment products such as BNPL (Buy Now, Pay Later) or pay monthly to customers. The Credit Risk Payment Recovery team is responsible for building systems that power installment attempts to all those products. We build deep integrations with underlying financial infrastructures and ensure that our products are able to scale.
About the teams that are currently hiring in the US on Marketplace Credit Risk Payment Recovery Team:
Payment Recovery: We own installment attempts/re-attempt for every order under Cash App Marketplace. Our payment recovery system processes millions of installment attempts daily that are backed by complex strategies to charge installments with minimal processing cost. We are also responsible for creating critical risk signals that significantly impact credit decisions for each order transaction of Cash App Marketplace. As a member of the team, you will own the design, implementation, and improvement of payment recovery products and features. We build our services over Cash App's ever-evolving infrastructure, and as a senior engineer on the team, you will embrace these changes and scale our tech stack to enable future evolvability.
- Design, build and support the highly performant systems that can handle millions of installment attempts for Cash App Marketplace
- Creatively solve challenging technical problems at scale
- Demonstrate rigor in high code quality, good test coverage and other engineering best practices.
- Work cross-functionally with other engineering teams, design, product, and risk team to design new service features
- Have autonomy to research and achieve outcomes with support when you need it
- Contribute to the growth of our development capabilities through leading, mentoring, and supporting fellow engineers
- 6+ years of experience delivering quality software
- Natural curiosity to learn new technologies, solve interesting problems and build quality software
- Desire to find flaws in a system with many moving parts and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- Desire to perform and grow as an engineer
- Technical initiative and leadership on previous projects
Technologies we use and teach:
- Go, Java, Kotlin
- Kubernetes, AWS
- Datadog, NewRelic
- Hibernate, MySQL, Cassandra DB, DynamoDB
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- Kafka, event-driven microservice architecture
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.