Commercial Credit Risk Underwriter
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
We are looking for a Commercial Credit Risk Underwriter to help manage chargeback risk for some of the largest sellers processing on Square and Afterpay. You will work with our Sales teams throughout the onboarding process to provide a seamless seller experience ensuring appropriate risk assessment and controls. You will have commercial credit underwriting skills, and take joy in scouring financial statements to understand a company’s business model, key risks, and mitigating factors. Additionally, they help partners navigate the risk experience. Lastly, they will take every opportunity to improve our operations and our people.
- Conduct in-depth credit reviews of our highest-risk sellers, including preparing credit memorandums for approval by senior management
- Lead due diligence calls with prospective and existing sellers to ensure that key risks are fully understood and mitigated
- Work closely with partners in Sales, Account Management, and Finance & Strategy
- Present to Credit Committees and partners; effectively represent Credit Risk team and perspectives
- Support principled risk-taking in emerging products and markets by building frameworks for credit analysis
- Contribute to the development of credit policies and add structure
- Proactively identify ways to improve our underwriting and operations; and collaborate to build strategic programs
- Share insights and expertise with the team; promote accountability for team-level and individual results
- 3+ years of experience in commercial banking, commercial credit, or payment industries
- Advanced commercial credit underwriting skills, including complex financial statement analysis
- Familiarity with diverse risk management tools and techniques
- Strong professional communication skills internally and externally; able to work with clients to understand their business and gather information
- Data skills and ability to translate findings into interpretable business case
- Intermediate Excel (can perform complex functions) /Sheets required; SQL a plus
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $94,400 - USD $115,400
Zone B: USD $87,800 - USD $107,400
Zone C: USD $80,300 - USD $98,100
Zone D: USD $70,800 - USD $86,600
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.