Software Engineer - Banking Platform
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Banking Platform team supports backend product experiences across Square Banking. When our merchants make a sale, our team enables them to automatically move a portion of their sales into savings or to repay a loan or to pay a credit card bill. We own Banking’s backend money movement infrastructure and support other Banking teams using the platform capabilities. We also support 1st & 3rd party integrations leveraging Banking’s APIs.
Square Banking helps Square sellers manage their business finances with products including Checking, Savings, Loans, fast transfers, advanced reporting, and cash flow insights. With this suite of products, we ensure that our customers get access to the funds they need when they need them, and that they can always understand and control where their money is going. We partner with other platform and infrastructure teams to move billions of dollars each year on behalf of our sellers.
We are a platform-focused engineering team with a backend focus. Our projects help Banking product teams to deliver cohesive and seamless seller experiences with high velocity. As a software engineer on the Banking Platform team, you will develop the shared platform components and infrastructure to support Banking products and marketing initiatives. You will be responsible for designing, building and owning sophisticated financial systems, and highly available services.
- Work with engineering, product, and other partners to build software that is clean, reusable, well-tested and forward-thinking by leveraging cloud technologies
- Oversee the entirety of your features, including component design, implementation, testing, and roll-out
- Maintain and promote operational excellence with focus on high reliability, performance and scalability
- Develop modern APIs for internal and external developers
- Promote engineering best practices and help define technical roadmap for the team
- Focus on delivering fault tolerant systems that allow teams to move quickly without negatively affecting our customers
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of industry experience
- Experience with Java or Kotlin
- Experience contributing to small to medium-scale feature releases
- Interest in collaboration with other engineers and cross-functional partners
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin, Terraform, GraphQL
- MySQL, DynamoDB, Snowflake
- Protocol Buffers, Kafka, Envoy
- AWS and other cloud platforms
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.