Senior Software Engineer, Reliability
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
We’re hiring one of the founding engineers for the reliability team at Cash App. We’re looking for a Software Engineer who has significant experience adopting traditional SRE principles – optimizing system performance, building infrastructure and reducing toil through automation.
- Set and implement the vision for how our engineering teams determine and report on the reliability of their systems
- Act as Cash App's in-house consultant for measuring and monitoring service availability, latency and overall system health and performance
- Scale large-scale systems and platforms sustainably through automation
- Participate in Incident Review for production incidents and build tools and frameworks to mitigate incident reoccurrence
- Support services before they go live through system design consulting, capacity planning and production readiness reviews
- Demonstrated technical initiative and leadership
- A passion for building, operating, and debugging distributed systems at scale
- Boundless curiosity, autonomy, and a strong sense of accountability
- A strong desire to perform and grow as an engineer, and mentor other engineers
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS, GCP)
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation)
- At least one of:
- Experience designing and operating large-scale production systems
- Experience with container schedulers and runtimes (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with service mesh deployments (e.g. Istio, Linkerd)
- Experience with observability tools (e.g. Datadog, Prometheus, ElasticSearch)
Technologies we use and teach:
- Go, Java, Kotlin
- Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Helm
- Datadog, Splunk, ElasticSearch, Fluentd, Prometheus, Sentry
- Fastly, Gloo Mesh, Istio, Envoy
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.