Sr Technical Program Manager, SRE
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
We’re hiring for a Senior Technical Program Manager - Reliability for the Reliability and Incident Management TPM team in Foundational Engineering. The Reliability and Incident Management Team is focused on driving our longer term Reliability and Incident Management roadmap across Square and enabling more predictable outcomes for our engineers and sellers under fire through processes, tooling and frameworks.
We’re looking for a TPM to coordinate and drive large-scale Site Reliability and Disaster Recovery initiatives at Square. You will help to report on organizational-level reliability and disaster recovery trends. You will deliver projects that build resilience into Square’s critical business systems and ensure service and data availability for our sellers. You will use your program leadership skills and technical expertise in DevOps (site reliability, disaster recovery and tooling automation) to deliver successful project outcomes.
Note this role will report into our TPM Lead for Reliability and Incident Management and partner closely with our Cloud Platform Engineering organization within Foundational Engineering.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Create Square-wide Disaster Recovery metrics and guide adoption of Disaster Recovery program
- Lead planning, execution and monitoring of large scale initiatives related to Site Reliability and Disaster Recovery and coordinate cross-functional dependencies
- Work with teams to clarify objectives, KPIs and success criteria and communicate blockers, risks and outcomes to management
- Take a data-driven approach to program management, building tools and leveraging data to drive stakeholder buy-in
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems and/or equivalent work experience in related technical field
- 5+ years of technical program management experience in agile software development environment with a proven track record leading large, complex technology projects and managing risks
- Fluency in Agile project management methodologies (such as Kanban, Scrum, or SAFe); having an active project management certification (PMP, CSM, etc) is a strong plus
- Solid understanding of SDLC and familiarity with software architecture and design
- Firm grasp of traditional SRE and DevOps concepts
- Prior experience with a public cloud such as AWS, GCP, etc.
- Experience with data manipulation and analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills; comfortable working with leadership and explaining technical subject matter to non-technical business partners
Nice to have:
- Experience and comfort working with remote, distributed project teams
- Have partnered with stakeholders on disaster or business continuity related governance
- Prior experience as a software engineer, developer or SRE is a huge plus
- Experience with quality assurance, quality engineering or test engineering
- Experience with project management and work productivity tools such as Jira, Google Suite, SmartSheets
- Exposure to observability tools such as SignalFx, Datadog, Sentry and PagerDuty
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace.
Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Learn more about our efforts to promote inclusion and diversity at block.xyz/inclusion
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.