Service Designer, Square Risk
- Alternate Location: Chicago, United States
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Risk team works to protect the people that trust Square, by minimizing the financial risks that come with running a business. We keep our sellers safe while $25B+ flows through Square annually, and along the way help each other make calculated risk/reward trade offs to grow sellers, and make complicated and sometimes painful processes understandable to all.
We are looking for a Service Designer to join Risk to partner with our teams, using back-of-house infrastructure and processes to transform what are oftentimes “not-so-nice” seller experiences (think account takeover, payment fraud, or chargebacks). You will work with other product designers, content designers, product managers, researchers, engineering, and legal to create a more cohesive experience across the Risk ecosystem, aiming to increase trust in our brand during these trying situations. In addition to shaping the seller experience through traditional service design methods, part of your charge will be to build the function of service design within Square.
- Report to the Director of Risk Design
- Design from a customer-first perspective, advocating for the customer and approaching problems with an experience mindset
- Visualize the complex ecosystem of Risk touchpoints across the seller experience
- Help to illustrate back-of-house processes that affect the seller experience and how we might modify them for the better
- Facilitate workshops and conduct research when needed to ensure experiences are seller-informed
- Build relationships with cross-functional team members
- Apply metrics, data, design research, user testing, customer support insights, and more to inform experience decisions
- Manage your workload of multiple projects with different collaborators with moderate guidance from design leadership
- Always think about how your work fits into the full ecosystem during all phases of the design process
- 5 or more years of professional design experience, at least 3 of which in a service design role
- A portfolio of work on which you were the primary designer, with moderate guidance from design leadership
- Experience in service design (Systems Design, UX/UI Design, Organizational Design)
- Experimental approach to work with progress rather than perfection mindset.
- Demonstrated case study in which you advocated for organizational or process change that resulted in a better customer experience
- Experience speaking in public and facilitating team dynamics both in person and remote setups
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace.
Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Learn more about our efforts to promote inclusion and diversity at block.xyz/inclusion
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.