Engineering Manager, Embedded Software
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We're working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we're looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
We're seeking an Engineering Manager to lead one of our Embedded Software teams. The team focuses on the merchant experience with Square hardware, building the features that are needed to run a successful business. The work on the team can range from metrics driven stability improvements at scale, to new product development, requiring tight collaboration with our EE, Quality and Factory Test teams, as well as our Product and Program Management teams to ensure we're staffing correctly against our shared roadmap. This team also collaborates closely with our Customer Success organization to keep track of how our products are performing for our sellers. The team strives to build reusable, well tested, code that will benefit our line of products and ensure ease of development on any new products Square takes on.
- Lead a team of Embedded engineers working on deeply complex technical problems, providing guidance both from technical experience as well as career growth.
- Plan yearly, quarterly and monthly goals to ensure the team is aligned with merchant needs and new features we want to release.
- Forecast future work and plan resourcing accordingly. Have a strong hand in the hiring process and ensure a good team balance of skills and seniority.
- Facilitate frequent planning, working closely with the product and program managers across the Hardware organization.
- Collaborate with teams across hardware, mobile and server to ensure high quality products and synchronization of goals.
- Work with product analysts to define and track metrics used to signal stability as we ship changes.
- Relevant BA/BS degree or equivalent industry experience (8+ years preferred).
- 2+ years experience directly managing engineers (including feedback, performance, hiring, career guidance).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A proven ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance to your team.
- Experience collaborating with other engineering leaders and cross-functional team members.
- Experience in the embedded software space, contributing to hardware programs that have shipped.
Even better if you have (but still get in touch if you haven't done these):
- Experience managing relationships with external vendors.
- Experience working alongside engineering teams of multiple disciplines (i.e. Electrical Engineering, Mobile, Server)
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.