Senior Product Designer, Financial Crimes Technology
- Alternate Location: Portland, United States
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
The Financial Crimes Technology team's mission is to build products and technologies that help Block, Inc. manage risk at scale to empower its core businesses–Cash App, Square, Afterpay, and more–to grow and bring economic empowerment to all. We develop customer-centric solutions that help analyze and act on billions of dollars in blockchain, person-to-person (P2P), and merchant transactions across the globe to find and stop criminal activity.
As a senior-level Product Designer, you will oversee design strategy and execution for products that empower important functions, such as flow of funds investigations, identity verification, ongoing due diligence, and analytics. Financial Crimes Technology offers a unique challenge that requires designers to solve for many products and platforms in parallel. Our technologies serve a global operations team, consumer and merchant product teams, external technology partners, and financial intelligence units (FIUs).
- Oversee design strategy and execution of financial crime investigative tools built in-house and used by more than 1000 investigators and program experts throughout Block, Inc.
- Build design systems and integrated user experiences with internal and external systems and Block's core apps, such as Cash App, Square, and Afterpay
- Help institute sound design and user research practices
- Have the opportunity to build 0-to-1 solutions
- At least (7) years of relevant professional experience
- A portfolio that shows work for which you were directly responsible
- Experience bringing elegant, intuitive designs to complex user problems and multi-user workflows, particularly on web
- A track-record of delivering high-fidelity, intuitive designs across all phases: ideation, prototyping, validation, and delivery of high-fidelity specifications
- Fluency in systems and concepts such as Figma, Jira, Notion, and Jobs-to-be-Done
- A desire to understand user problems and come up with creative solutions for them
- The ability to work with, prioritize across, and align many partner groups
- Conviction in your ideas yet you are open to diverse points of view
Even better if you have:
- Worked in the regulatory compliance space in the past
- Experience designing enterprise-grade workflow management products (e.g. AGILE project management tools, CRMs, HR management)
- A track record and desire to lead user research and usability studies
- Experience building 0-to-1 products, platforms, and design systems
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.