Policy Communications Lead, Global Communications Team
Block is looking for a Policy Communications Lead to join the Corporate Communications function, which protects and advocates for Block's brand globally. Reporting to the US Head of Corporate Communications, you will work with executives and teams across Block and will guide communications efforts for our government relations, community affairs, advocacy, policy and policy-related programs.
You have a grasp of the global political landscape, and financial services and technology, crypto, and other government policies relevant to Block's global business. We are looking for creativity, the ability to change course quickly and perform in high-stress situations, and comfort with crisis management.
Our Global Communications team sits within the broader Corporate Affairs group, and communicates to the world Block's purpose of economic empowerment and our mission to empower businesses and individuals with easy-to-use, elegant tools that give them an advantage where they previously had none.
- Lead communications for Block's policy efforts, including developing messaging and communicating our public positions on important issues to the world.
- Partner directly with members of Block's executive team, advising on messaging, media engagements, and thought leadership.
- Bring communications strategy for policy priorities ensuring message consistency across the broader business.
- Collaborate with teams across Block, including government relations, policy and community affairs, and finance, investor relations, legal, and corporate development teams, and partners within Square, Cash App, TIDAL and TBD.
- Build reactive and proactive communications plans and strategies using all channels.
- Help field in-bound press inquiries related to policy matters.
- Build new and deepen existing relationships with policy media.
- Partner with internal leaders, and external organizations, to grow Block and industry priorities through thoughtful engagements and storytelling.
- Protect Block's reputation and address complex, potentially controversial public issues affecting us, our executives and the board.
- Develop written materials, including company messaging and statements, press releases, communications plans, FAQs, and other collateral.
- Be a spokesperson on crucial media interactions, including policy and crisis communications, and issues that might affect our business and corporate reputation.
- A Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) at least 10 years relevant work experience, either at a PR agency or on an in-house communications team, in public policy, public affairs issues, and crisis communications.
- Previous communications experience with a consumer financial technology company and publicly-traded companies.
- Experience pitching policy, financial, business and technology publications.
- An understanding of the bigger-picture and experience advancing company narratives in the down-cycles between corporate announcements.
- Summarize complex concepts to create essential messages that are consistent but tailored to multiple partners.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Skills in shaping and implementing simultaneous projects.
- Experience working in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Experience working with senior leadership and teams across an organization, including finance, legal, corporate development, investor relations, product, engineering, business, and customer support.
- Enthusiasm and a belief in our mission.
- Curiosity, creative thinking, and a sense of humor.
- An appreciation of the Oxford comma.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $296,600 - USD $362,500
Zone B: USD $296,600 - USD $362,500
Zone C: USD $296,600 - USD $362,500
Zone D: USD $296,600 - USD $362,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.