Senior Software Engineer, Seller
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
As Square's business continues to experience growth, these teams serve the heart of the business, allowing Square product teams and third parties to build safe, scalable, and reliable products. We are looking for software engineers who feel comfortable in all parts of the stack to join our seller organization. Here are just a few of our teams:
- The Payment Acceptance team owns the core of Square’s online payments stack and operates it at a massive scale.
- We provide APIs for first and third parties to access our platform.
- We move money between customers, credit card processors, and banks quickly, reliably, and securely – and our ambition is to make this easy.
- We solve several technical challenges: Security and privacy, monitoring, re-architecting for the future, scalability, supporting payment methods such as cryptocurrency, 3DS, ACH, and support Square's expansion to support new payment types in international markets.
- We are a backend service team, and use Java on Square's Linux servers and cloud platforms along with technologies like Guice, Guava, Protocol Buffers, jOOQ, MySQL, Kafka, AWS and GCP.
- The Catalog team builds the platform and product features that allow Square merchants to manage the items and inventory they sell.
- We support all types of merchants from food trucks with just a few menu items to retail chains with hundreds of thousands of SKUs for sale across many locations.
- The team is involved in the technical details of building available and reliable services, while also working with product teams to allow Square to build new capabilities for our merchants and buyers all over the world.
- We partner with external developers to build public APIs that allow Square to expand its ecosystem.
- The Prices team manages tools that help Square merchants set prices, manage taxes, and provide discounts to their customers.
- We are a full-stack team, delivering features through Mobile, Web, and API across nearly all of Square’s products.
- We are reinventing Square’s models for pricing and taxes, building flexible primitives to manage complex needs.
- We also own Square’s subscription platform, managing all subscriptions, usage, and billing.
- We are a team that ties together many software components across Square, including Payments, Prices and Catalog, allowing developers to quickly combine all components to develop new features on top of Square’s platform.
- Our Order Platform APIs are designed for use by first (internal) and third-party (external) developers.
- We design high-volume, low-latency, distributed transaction processing systems, making thoughtful tradeoffs between consistency and availability when both are not possible.
- BS Degree in Computer Science or equivalent. Minimum 4 years of industry experience
- Natural curiosity and a desire to explore solutions in a small and focused team
- Experience pursuing side projects, research, or open source projects
Technologies we use:
- Java, Ruby, Go
- iOS, Android, web
- Guice, Guava, Protocol Buffers, gRPC, jOOQ, Rails
- MySQL, Redis, Kafka, Vertica
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.