Head of Corporate Internal Communications
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
With over 12,000 employees across the Block, in multiple functions and geographies globally, our Corporate Internal Communications team is important to keeping employees informed, engaged, and connected. Block is looking for a senior communications strategist to lead this talented team of communicators through the next phase of Block's growth, and continue to evolve Block's internal voice and narrative.
This team sits within the broader Block Employee Engagement organization, and focuses on sharing news, creating internal narratives around our growth, guiding employees through milestones and change, and empowering internal partners (including executives) to reach and resonate with internal audiences.
The team is rooted in three guiding principles:
- Know our dynamic audience. Where they are, the work they do, and how they identify
- Showcase our purpose of economic empowerment. What all employees share in common and the reason we do our work together
Guide through change. Bringing employees along through changes, transition, and decisions inherent in a growing, dynamic business, with authenticity and simplicity
- Be the daily lead for Block foundational communications, including people, finance, counsel, and infrastructure communications.
- Lead internal communications efforts tied to M&A, corporate, and financial-related news.
- Work with Block's Employee Engagement Lead, HR, Counsel, External Communications & Policy, Inclusion & Diversity, executives, and other partners to help manage change, crisis, and policy issues that impact our employee population.
- Support executives with leadership communications, including proactive and reactive talking points around change and sensitive issues.
- Develop and grow the team, including coaching on prioritization so the team's focus scales with our need.
- 10-plus years of experience in an agency or in-house communication-specific roles, with at least 5 years of experience in employee-focused roles and working in an advisory capacity with executives.
- Excellent writing skills, with demonstrated ability to write for a variety of audiences, on behalf of leaders, with speed, flexibility, and attention to detail
- Ability to understand and distill complex information into accessible communications, and coach partners to do the same
- Strong presentation skills, with experience presenting to and consulting with an executive audience
- Experience working in a decentralized operating model, with a global audience across timezones
- Experience managing and growing a team
- Knowledge of change management best practices
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone C: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone D: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.