Looker Technical Specialist
- New York, NY, United States
- Employees can work remotely
As a Looker Technical Specialist, you will play a crucial role in implementing, improving, and maintaining Looker across Square. This includes partnering and consulting with business and analytics teams to provide guidance and assistance in creating and streamlining Looker reports and underlying ETL pipelines. As part of the BI team, you’ll help develop and lead trainings and in-services to communicate best practices, and you’ll co-host office hours to provide direct assistance. Your expertise and enthusiasm will inspire people across Square to adopt and innovate Looker reporting!
- Partner with product analysts, data scientists, business users, and others to understand their needs and come up with an end-to-end solution
- Translate business requirements to actionable data tasks (English <-> SQL)
- Design and develop scalable turn-key ETL pipelines
- Become a subject matter expert on Looker, both as a development platform and visualization tool
- Hold office hours, training sessions, brown bags and more to evangelize Looker and ETL best practices throughout the company
- Be responsible for maintaining security and data access models within Looker
- 2+ years working on a successful business intelligence team
- Strong business intuition and ability to understand complex business systems
- Strong technical accomplishments in SQL and data analysis skills
- Expertise in visualization technologies including Tableau, Looker and/or another BI tool
- Vertica, Snowflake, Redshift, MySQL or similar data handling experience
- Familiarity with structuring and writing ETLs
- [Bonus] Prior Looker experience
- [Bonus] Prior Airflow experience
- [Bonus] Teaching/training/consulting experience
- [Bonus] Experience with Linux/OSX command line and git
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.