Head of Brand and Marketing
Founded in July 2021, TBD is one of Block's four business units, alongside Square, Cash App, and Tidal. At TBD, we believe in a decentralized future that returns ownership and control over your finances, data, and identity. Guided by this vision, TBD is building an open source platform and developer infrastructure that enables everyone to access and participate in the global economy.
TBD invites the world to join us in building and adopting open and decentralized technologies that solve real problems for real people — from next generation payments infrastructure that lowers the cost of global remittances, payments and commerce, to decentralized identity technologies that enable anyone to access and participate in the global economy. Our mission advances economic empowerment around the globe through the power of decentralized solutions, built open source and collaboratively.
The offerings we build will provide developers, institutions, and individuals with the capabilities needed to build the next wave of innovative apps and services, and access this decentralized future. We’re leveraging bitcoin and other decentralized technologies to reinvent the global financial system in an open and permissionless way to further Block’s mission of economic empowerment and financial inclusion for all, with a global focus.
As Head of Brand & Marketing, you (and the team that you build) will oversee the strategy, development and implementation of brand and marketing strategies across TBD's open source developer platform and TBD's portfolio of monetizable products and services.
Your responsibilities will involve everything from overseeing TBD's social media presence to its new brand and product launches; you will also develop go-to-market strategies as we enter international markets, and work towards creating an excellent open source developer brand in collaboration with TBD's Developer Relations and Open Source Program leads.
This is a collaborative role. You will partner with TBD's business and legal leads, product and engineering teams, and many other functional leads to deliver TBD's goals. You will report directly to TBD's Chief Operating Officer.
You have built successful teams and approach your work with a creative mindset. You're excited about leading brand and marketing plans for a business that is building the next wave of innovation on the web.
You are excited about learning new technologies, quickly learning difficult technical concepts, and able to translate these concepts into a brand that connects with others and reflects TBD's vision, mission, and human impact.
While you have a depth of professional experience in brand and marketing, you are looking for opportunities to challenge conventional brand and product marketing strategies. You are excited to join a team that takes their work seriously, but doesn't take themselves seriously. You welcome candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
You practice and believe in collaboration that creates trust and respect with other leaders that allow you to bridge business, product, engineering, developer, and brand needs.
You are equally comfortable building from scratch and serving as the steward of a trusted organization and brand. You look to solve challenges in a transformative fashion - doing it with style and flair, while staying true to the mission and values of TBD.
We are looking for someone to lead strategy, build the processes, and grow a team to tell meaningful, relevant and current stories about TBD's brand, platform, and products.
- Create clear narratives about TBD's platform, products, business, and broader vision, while developing a voice for TBD that is quirky and fun
- Develop brand strategy and marketing strategy for TBD's platform and new portfolio of products and services
- Collaborate productively with senior leadership across TBD's partnering teams, including business, product, engineering, developer relations, open source, legal, communications, and others
- Partner closely with TBD's Head of Open Source & Head of Developer Relations to build a best-in-class open source developer brand and to grow engagement around TBD's open source projects and developer APIs
- Partner closely with TBD's Business and Product teams on new product launches and go-to-market strategies in new markets around the world
- Build a cohesive brand that bridges two parts of TBD's business with distinct business models: open source (community projects and open infrastructure to promote the ecosystem) and product (monetizable products and services)
- Oversee TBD's social media presence across platforms and increase content creation and campaigns that produce increased awareness for TBD and engagement with our products and services
- 12+ years of relevant professional experience in brand marketing / product marketing
- Excellent at explaining complex topics with simple, powerful messages; while helping people understand difficult ideas
- Customer mindset, focused on global developers and end customers
- Prior experience working in marketing at a developer platform or developer-first / platform-as-a-service company; familiarity with developer platforms and APIs (bonus if in the financial services or identity space)
- Understanding of how to lead successful marketing strategy and campaigns across platforms and mediums
- Understanding of open source philosophy, or the demonstrated ability to quickly get up the curve on open source best practices
- High trust/low ego partner to leaders; Strong strategic sensibility and business judgment
- Entrepreneurial mindset and putting in the work to lead projects in a startup environment
- Executive presence and maturity; ability to work across the table from C-level executives and partners
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.