Software Architect, Directory
- Boston, MA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Washington D.C., United States
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
The Customer Engagement team's mission is to help Sellers grow their businesses by giving them the tools to know, support, engage, and acquire their customers. cgOur product suite includes Customer Directory - an omnichannel CRM platform, Square Marketing (e.g. email, social, advertising), Feedback / Direct Messaging, Digital Receipts, Loyalty, Gift Cards and Coupons. You'll report to the engineering lead and work on full stack engineering to help build the next generation of Product & Platform solutions that help our Buyers to centrally manage their data with Square in a privacy centric way and Sellers to conveniently manage their business by using our network of Buyers to provide a remarkable and delightful experiences to their customers.
- Develop solutions that allow merchants to better serve their customers
- Guide Technical vision and excellence for team with 25+ engineers and multiple partners
- Be a leader upleveling the technical and design understanding of the team
- Collaborate and provide guidance on multiple projects at any given time. Sample projects include designing scaling customer profile store and building personalization for first & 3rd party products
- Build systems that coordinate customer data quality for Square's sellers
- Identify risks and design solutions to performance and scalability challenges as our customer data set continues to grow
- Build for the future by communicating the cost-benefit of a given solution and advocating for the best path forward
- Embrace opportunities to stretch yourself by learning new technologies
- 10+ years of software development experience on a Services or Platform team
- 3+ years of experience as tech lead or system architect
- An advanced degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Experience in designing and productionizing large-scale distributed systems built around big data
- Broad mindset to understand overall system architecture and design end-to-end solutions
- Experience overseeing customized development for multiple projects
- Experience envisioning a technical approach/solution, socialize it and align partners towards it
- Passion for mentoring and upleveling team members
- Experience balancing urgency to implement vs technically correct solution
Experience with cloud computing platforms, such as AWS, Google Cloud or Azure is a plus
Experience working as tech lead on team which has both product and platform exposure
Technologies we use and teach:
Frameworks: JS Client - Ember, React, Services - gRPC / JAX-RS REST
Databases: MySQL, Redis, DynamoDB, ElasticSearch, BigQuery
Infrastructure: Hybrid - Private DC / AWS / Google Cloud, SignalFX, DataDog, Snowflake
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.