Embedded Software Engineer (Android)
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Within Block's Hardware organization, the SQUID Platform Team provides the core OS that powers Square's Register and Terminal hardware products. Block takes pride in our product experience from manufacturing to end customer experience, and this team works closely with partner teams throughout the hardware and software product lifecycle, from hardware manufacturing to Android app teams. We work with external vendors on part selection and initial hardware bringup, with a focus on customizing Android for Square's state-of-the-art security posture. You'll report to our SQUID Platform Engineering Manager.
- Collaborate on system-side code, communication protocol design, and kernel development on Linux/Android platforms
- Improve our Android OS at the frameworks layer, designing features customized for Square's hardware and security needs
- Develop and ship new features on our Android OS platform, launching across several products simultaneously
- 5+ years software development experience
- 2+ years working with embedded, mobile, or other connected devices
- Experience in embedded code (C/C++) or native Android apps (Android SDK, Java, JNI/ NDK)
You May Also Have (but not required):
- Experience bringing up Android OS on a new device or hardware platform
- High-level understanding of Google's AOSP architecture
- Have built the Linux kernel, and some experience writing Linux device drivers
- Experience working with microcontrollers (GPIO pin states, interrupt handlers)
- Experience adding, monitoring and parsing telemetry data to proactively resolve issues
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.