Fraud Detection Manager
- Raleigh, NC, USA
- Alternate Location: Atlanta, United States
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Square, Inc. is looking for a seasoned Payments Fraud Risk Operations Lead to join our dynamic risk operations team. You will provide support for the development and documentation of creative fraud prevention strategies that optimizes the team's ability to detect Fraud. You will also work with Risk Policy, Product/Program Managers, Data Scientists, and Engineers to evaluate fraud risk on Point of Sale payments. You will oversee system tool enhancements to maintain productivity and efficiency of risk strategies. Importantly, you will represent the team as a member of Squares high impact teams that support plans for both existing and new payment products. We ask that you have an in-depth understanding of the principles of both account and portfolio level risk management.
- Lead a team of 8-10 specialists in a fast- paced environment including performance management, coaching and driving the vision for the team
- Build team; manage recruiting efforts and partner with Talent Team to bring in top quality candidates to fill essential role
- Identify risk factors and trends of potentially fraudulent activity
- Develop comprehensive fraud detection strategies and business procedures that balance fraud loss and customer experience.
- Lead root cause analysis to identify opportunities to predict and mitigate risk within processes and performance.
- Use analytics to improve existing fraud strategies, to reduce false positive rates and increase fraud detection rates.
- Extract and analyze data, investigate data integrity, create metrics and perform data and portfolio analysis.
- Create fraud metrics to show the performance of fraud systems for use in management reporting.
- Identify gaps in current systems, policies, products and strategies and take actions to reduce new fraud risks with guidance from managers.
- Build relationships with Sales, Support, Product and Dispute teams to gain support of risk management.
- Manage projects to enhance fraud strategy systems and tools.
- Recommend enhancements and process improvements based on assessment of fraud processes.
- Develop trending reports and essential indicators to serve as early warning risk indicators for potentially fraudulent activity.
- Work with internal partners across the company to effect change and promote awareness of fraud mitigation while focusing on improving experiences for legitimate Sellers who go through a risk evaluation
- Develop performance metrics and build coaching opportunities
- Bachelor's Degree
- 5+ years risk management experience with traditional and alternative payment methods.
- 3+ years of people management experience
- Knowledge in card present, card-not-present, card testing and Ecom fraud schemes and their prevention methods
- Experience with the online payments landscape across all participants issuer, merchant, acquirer and network.
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills and an ability to summarize information and make concise recommendations on a course of action
- Creative, team-focused, problem solving
- Preferred Certifications: CFE
- Preferred proficiency: SQL, Looker, Snowflake, and Google sheets
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.